The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Let the Ditching Commence !

<< < (2/6) > >>

hermetic:
Excellent news Andrew, and good progress by the looks of it, but of course what we really need is Video, bring on bucket cam!
Phil

awemawson:
Well the 'delicate lambs' situation ' sorted it self out, but it's been raining making things even softer under foot. But last night we only had 0.7 mm so I thought that I'd have another shortish session.

Still rather sway'y and wobbly but I did get another 75 foot done.

This is as far as I'm prepared to go until I've positively determined where a 25 mm MDPE water pipe crosses the ditch - and I have a second to find crossing the stream that this ditch drains into. It was trenched up to either bank, then the pipe pressed into the silt as far as possible. Worst case scenario is nicking the pipe and not finding out until the next water bill arrives  :bugeye:

. . . I have a cunning plan, but that will enjoy a thread of it's own when the time is right.

awemawson:
So as you may have read in the "Water Thumper" thread, yesterday I had a go trying to find that elusive 25 mm mdpe water pipe, and it wasn't entirely successful  :bang:

https://www.madmodder.net/index.php/topic,13505.msg162594.html#msg162594

In fact I made a right boggy mess that is worse in the flesh than the pictures show. There is a reasonable drying wind today - if this keeps up for a few days I'll be able to get back on it, get rid of the ruts where I got the JCB 3CX stuck and resume ditching - there is only about 50 foot left to do of this stretch. Then I have to shift the spoil - I will make a compact 'berm' from it and leave it for a season to rot into something useful (hopefully)

However, picking the good bits from yesterdays work: The ditch is now cleared where the pipe is despite not finding it AND not ripping it up (!) It just needs tidying up when things are a bit drier.

awemawson:
It's been dry for a couple of days but still too soft out there for the JCB 3CX, however I judged that it was probably OK to use the smaller  JCB 803 and the Thwaites 2 ton dumper to carry the spoil away to start making a 'berm'. Actually the ground is still pretty springy to walk on but I just about got away with it.

So Easter Sunday and Monday I managed to clear all the spoil so far removed from the ditch and start on the berm, which is going to be a "permanent feature" for the next couple of years until it rots down. At a distance it looks for all the world like stable manure and I suppose the vegetation and silt that it actually comprises isn't far off that ! It doesn't smell very sweet either.

awemawson:
Oddly I just added some pictures to that last post but they are not showing  :scratch:

(Later edit: Solved - one picture was too large and had evaded my reduction process! )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version