Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Steady Rest Rehab + a New Steady Rest Casting

<< < (3/8) > >>

vtsteam:
 :doh:

Doesn't fit the new lathe because the edges of the casting interfere with the carriage arms by 1/4" each side. I can't trim the casting edges, because there isn't enough meat in the bottom, and a relief would also cut into the edge flanges of the steady rest.

Uhhhh, the operation was a success..........but the patient died.  :zap:

Well, it will fit the Craftsman lathe with a riser block, with those reliefs cut into it -- the two lathes share the same ways dimensions, but I don't use that lathe much since building the new one. And I really want a steady rest for the new one.

Next steps......I thought about using the lower casting as a pattern and casting a new one, with the weak area built up. But looking carefully at the present design, it would be a pretty tricky part to cast -- the parting line would have to meander  -- looks like they might have used a two part pattern and/or coped down. And lifting a heavy  thin and deep webbed iron pattern looks like it might be tricky leaving all kinds of trouble behind in the mold sand.

A new design would be easier. Home casting, unlike commercial molding practice, doesn't require using thin webs to save on material costs, so a steady rest can be simpler in design. I think I'll just make a steady from scratch, and while I'm at it, open up the capacity from the present 2-3/4" to 4" so I can clean up the bore of larger cylinders.

Supporting large diameter stock is my present need in a steady rest, rather than turning long thin stuff. Funny thing is, the Gingery aluminum steady I built for the 7x12 Gingery lathe had 3" capacity -- larger than this old rehabilitated iron steady that was apparently intended for use in a 16" lathe.

I'll look at what I need for a pattern on the new lathe today.

This time also ........uhhhhh,.....checking for fit between the carriage arms.  :wack:

PekkaNF:
"Here's the steady rest painted and put back together. And as usual, one screw has gone missing."

That looks what British would call a proper job!

I like squares too on lathe, no way of getting an internal hex full of swarf. Oddly I like knurled ones that has flat for spanner or internal hex. Those bolts are DIY, I am sure there are some odd commercial ones but never on self when you need some. Faster to make some from bar stock.

I bought a cheap push knurling tool...it was pretty bad. Then I bough indian made scissor knurler. It actually sort of worked, but was loose in every directions and knurl rolls were bad. Then I made some brass knobs for friends and modified that knurler to death...even made similar but with tighter tolerances. Still not happy with that.

Thinking of making something like this:
https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum/general/54725-hemingway-sensitive-knurler

vtsteam:
Nice Knurler!

awemawson:
If you use the original as a pattern you'll get one smaller by the shrinkage! How many times do you have to repeat this to get your 1/4" clearance  :clap:

awemawson:
Not as aesthetically pleasing as a casting, but a perfectly functional steady rest can be flame or plasma cut  from some steel plate with a foot welded to it for the lathe bed. Many examples on the interweb particularly where people have needed large steadies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version