The Craftmans Shop > Radio Control Models

RC Benchy

<< < (4/9) > >>

ddmckee54:
Benchy's temporarily on the back burner while I wait for parts to arrive.

You know, the unimportant stuff like the motor. ESC, prop-shaft and bearings, prop, more servos - little stuff like that.  I got the motor yesterday, and the servos a day or two ago.  The prop-shaft and bearings isn't supposed to get here for another week or two.

I'll have to find something else to do, probably yardwork.  It is getting to be that time of the year again.

vtsteam:
I guess a fair amount of weight low in the hull will be helpful, as there's a lot of top hamper and weight above the waterline. Can't see the underbody, but form stability doesn't look like a strong point. She'll like lots of batteries, maybe even, dare I say it, NiCads for weight. Might be a good (unintentional) sailboat with Lipos. Actually there are some compact 12V sealed lead acid cells that might fit. I use one for my depth sounder on my rowing and fishing boat, Flier. I think it was under 20 bucks from Runnings.

ddmckee54:
The instructions on Thingiverse said it needed around 1Kg of ballast.  One of the upgrades on Thingiverse were glue on "fins" to keep him from rolling so much in turns.  I printed my own version as bilge keels.  I'm not sure if the ESC that I've got coming is 2S/3S, or just 2S.  I should have an old 6V SLA battery from my first boat.  I changed it to a 12V, probably wasn't a good idea since the boat now sits a little too low in the water.

I can kind of relate to the unintentional sailboat bit.  I converted my first boat, a "Dickie's Workboat", to use a real RC system instead of the POS it originally had.  I was playing around with it one evening and I realized that I couldn't turn any direction other that to the right.  I was alone and had NO way of getting to the boat.  After a few minutes I realized that the boat didn't turn as sharply to the right in reverse and it did going forward.  After about 10 minutes of see-sawing back and forth I was able to get the boat close enough to the bank that I could grab it.

Since that day part of the gear that goes with me when I take a boat out is a collapsible fishing rod with some line, some sinkers, a bobber, and a blunted treble hook.  I try not to sail any farther away from the bank than I can cast the line.  The boat might get a little banged up if it gets hit by the sinkers, but the way I see it that's better than losing the boat.  Haven't needed it yet, wonder if I need a special fishing license for RC boats?

Don

vtsteam:
Well I used to fly seaplane models and the same thing can happen. Also capsizes. I remember one guy made a retriever seaplane to hook onto a disabled one.

If you have a rod and reel with a line and a sinker and treble hook on it, you might have a hard time convincing a game warden! But if it works, let me know, and I'll bring a model boat with me next time I go fishing in New Hampshire!

ddmckee54:
I don't know, I'd be fishing FOR a model boat - I don't think there's a limit or a season on them.  And if there's an RC boat sitting there dead in the water... 

If you're planning on fishing with a model boat in New Hampshire, that's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish - might just require a special license.

Besides, the treble hook has had the points ground off from it.  It's more of a small grappling hook now.  Maybe I need to get a BIG treble hook, the kind used for deep-sea fishing and do the same thing to it.  Something big enough that it can't be swallowed by the fish around here, that'd make it easier to hook the boat anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version