Author Topic: I'm back after nine years  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Protolancer

I'm back after nine years
« on: March 15, 2022, 10:50:44 AM »
Took me a while to figure out how to get back on. Had to go for a new name and password.

Anyway.

Hi Eric. Remember me and my wife. We met at an Engineering show in PA a many years ago. My wife watched your kid while you and I went around the show and your wife did some business with somebody if I recollect correctly.

I was cleaning up and going through some old files and came across a Mad Modder reference and thought hey let's see what's going on. Had to register since I couldn't remember my password. So if you see the name "protolancer" that's me.

I finally did some parring down of my hobby's. I'm into my model railroading heavily but still do home shop machining since that is part of model railroading. I even have two CNC machines now after saying why would you need a CNC to make parts. Little did I know how valuable that would be model railroading.

I'll be posting some of my adventures to bring old members and new members up to date.

Later,
Bernd

NOTE: Anyway you can fix the first name so I can get back to my old threads and name?

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: I'm back after nine years
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 01:14:39 PM »
Hi Bernd, and welcome back. I recognize the name. Eric isn't always here, but I'll see what can be done about reconnecting you to your old nick.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 01:35:10 PM »
PM sent....
Steve

Offline Protolancer

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 08:49:35 AM »
I read the PM but can't reply to it. At least I don't see a place to reply if there is one. That address no longer works. That's why I had to sign in with a new name. I'll send you a PM with my new e-mail address.

Bernd

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 08:57:45 AM »
Bernd,

From 'My Messages' in the title bar of Steves message there should be a 'Reply' icon that you can click.

You may be falling foul of a rule concerning sending PM's until a certain number of posts have been made - not sure of the details.

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Protolancer

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 09:02:33 AM »
Bernd,

From 'My Messages' in the title bar of Steves message there should be a 'Reply' icon that you can click.

You may be falling foul of a rule concerning sending PM's until a certain number of posts have been made - not sure of the details.

Andrew

I think your right on that Andrew.

Bernd

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 09:25:18 AM »
Pop up a few postings to jack up your numbers and problem solved !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 09:35:29 AM »
Bernd,

Amusingly searching for messaging limitations for new members I came across this post:

https://www.madmodder.net/index.php/topic,681.msg3728.html#msg3728
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 09:37:18 AM »
Bernd,

Amusingly searching for messaging limitations for new members I came across this pot:

https://www.madmodder.net/index.php/topic,681.msg3728.html#msg3728

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you." :lol:

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 09:41:36 AM »
Actually I have Bernd's email address, and have sent him mine. The problem is that he can't use the change of password function because it sends out a verify email to an old address of his that he no longer has access to. Eric will need to reset the password for him (it's above our security level). I'm sending Eric an email....

also deleting Bernd's email address post above -- to prevent spam for him.
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 09:42:39 AM »
Oops that's the the admin area - now if / when Bernd regains his original log in he will be able to read it  :clap:

Meanwhile here is a cut and paste of the gist:

An observation on my part. We are going to get all kinds of people here. I'd never heard of this but some people just join up to raid the download files for info and then move on. On one forum I signed up on you con't get in to the download area until you had posted a number of messages. The messages had to pretain to what the group was all about not just generic messages to get your numbers up.

I also like the ten day rule. At least you might be able to get them to say hi and what there interests are.

A PM saying or asking to post a bit about their interests and if they would like to tell a little about themselves. Not to many people trust the interweb to leave a full history about themselves so make that an option in the Intro request.

Here's a sample I've come up with:
"As a new member of the Madmodder Forum it would be greatly apprciated if you post an introduction in the "Introduction" area so other membes can say Hi to you. A short note about your interests would be greatly appreciated. This will help like minded members to communicate with each other"

Might come up with more as the day goes on. This was kinda off the cuff.

Bernd
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 09:52:10 AM »
Okay Bernd, if you're reading this, I've written to Eric, and he should be able to fix it.
Steve

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 12:48:12 PM »
I have. I associated your new email to your old account. I also reset your password and sent it to you.

Welcome back!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 03:54:01 PM »
Ok guys, I'm back as Bernd. I use the "protolancer" due to the type of railroading I do. It's neither the real thing but it's not fantasy either. I work with in the limits of plausibility.

So I'll update what's been going on over the next century or so.  :scratch:

I've gained two CNC machines and go rid of one large drill press and my Grizzly lathe. I'll update the adventures of those as I go.

Have to look around and see who is still here after nine years. I do see a few that haven't been around for a while too. I happened to come across the other site and I saw a mention of MadModder. I do one of these  :palm: and go that's where I want to go and here I am. Almost didn't make it into the door.

More later. Was working on a project and took a break to see if I could get on.

Until then,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds