The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Re-Birth of an Oil Dispenser

<< < (2/4) > >>

awemawson:
Now at this stage I had no idea if the pump works or not ! It's a simple affair with a foot valve a top valve with a rack and pinion moving the piston up and down.

The gland nut for the pinion was painted solid locking it to the shaft so only rotating by unscrewing and re-screwing the gland. Solved with a blast of heat from the propane torch. The two valves were a bit mucky so got a blast of compressed air. So now it should work fine but I will want to flush it a few times before the gear oil is put in to avoid contamination.

Pump re-fitted to reservoir and all 'should be well' but I have to stop now as some friends are arriving soon to help put a new cover on the polytunnel - hope it stays calm wind wise or we'll be flying !

Pete W.:
Hi there, Andrew,

Thank you for this thread.

Your Dunny needs a coat of Cuprinol 'Shed & Fence'!!

Then again, maybe your practice is to use a blend of diesel and old engine oil?

awemawson:
That's no Dunny Pete - it's the wife's tool shed !

But I agree she needs to treat it, but not Cuprinol so much as genuine Creosote. It's there - it's in the bucket ready - the brush is there - I've even filled a spray with it - she just needs to do it or that 'sentry box' will go the same way as those chicken sheds I ended up re-building.

awemawson:
Well I'm glad to be able to report that the pump pumps  :thumbup:

I've been flushing it with clean but cheap oil and filtering the result before repeating using the same oil. Quite a bit of debris being filtered - mind you I'm using paint spraying filters so they are quite fine. A few more cycles to do before I'm happy that it's clean and ready to use.

The poly tunnel cover went on with the usual heaving and pulling and shovelling of earth to hold it's edges down and the breeze thankfully never got up to much, just need a warm day (forecast for next week) to pull the last wrinkles out of it before making the end doors and their sliding gear. I still reckon to buy veg at the supermarket is cheaper and easier but I don't win brownie points saying it  :scratch:

vtsteam:
You always do a neat and thorough job rebuilding or remaking, Andrew, and this is no exception. I like the shaped feet of your pump among other things. That cnc plasma cutter is awfully handy. Excellent job!  :clap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version