The Shop > Metal Stuff

Casting a Lathe Chuck Backing Plate

<< < (4/5) > >>

awemawson:
You hit the backing plate as it has less mass !

vtsteam:
Please do. Take your newly turned 10 pound backing plate with registers on both faces and a 40mm bore and pound on it somewhere with enough force to dent it simultaneously and accurately while resting on top of 4 ball bearings in 10mm tapped holes spaced 6 inches apart.  :hammer:

Different folks, different strokes.  :beer:

awemawson:
I know I'm not going to convince you Steve, but it really isn't that brutal, just a tap with a dead blow hammer over each ball. And if you paint the backplate with layout blue first and are careful bringing the two together it needs hardly anything to produce a witness mark that you can pick up with an optical centre.

vtsteam:
Ah, change of plan. Now we're using four taps of the hammer and layout blue and an optical center. I think since this new strategy requires tapping with a mallet over the four bearings, you need to both locate and immobilize the backing plate and chuck in relation to each other.

Since the chuck and backing plate in question are different sizes and the rim of the backing plate is still rough, you may want to turn yourself an arbor the same size as the bore to clamp in the 4-jaw  -- then indicate that to the center of the chuck by adjusting the independent jaws, then place the backing plate over the new arbor, and clamp them together so that the plate won't also rotate around center after each mallet tap. Then if you tap with your mallet over each location, you will have something to use your optical center on.  :borg:

But, naturally you won't convince me, because my chuck is already mounted via a piece of paper.  :beer:

krv3000:
A good job  :nrocks:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version