The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Storm Eunice

<< < (4/6) > >>

Sea.dog:
Tut, tut Andrew. You know that you're going to find a 20kVA generator. You've now made work for yourself by not fitting the 63A commando  :lol: :lol:

Nicely done, BTW.

John Rudd:
Being the cautious type, what’s the failure mode of your changeover switch?

I’d hate for it to fail in a fashion whereby the incoming mains is parallel up with the genset…. :zap: :zap: :zap:

awemawson:
It's a three position manual switch so you switch through all isolated when going from mains to generator or vice-versa.

I suppose a welded together connector pair might make an issue but it's rated at 125 amps (and 200,000 operations) and that's at least double what it's ever likely to carry when on mains, and far less when on generator.

At the worst were your scenario to occur the generator would go pop, but I expect in reality its 32 amp circuit breaker would trip.

mattinker:
Hi Andrew,

Sorry to read all this, I've been away and I haven't looked in here for a while! Life and limb OK which is the main thing!

I couldn't help thinking that it's a pity you got rid of the Lister generator, would have been ideal

All the best, Matthew

awemawson:
I've thought that several times Matthew, and it was bought for precisely this application. However it was open frame so no soundproofing or weather resistance, and would have needed some sort of structure built round it as it was far too heavy to shift in times of need. By the time I'd worked out how big the enclosure was going to have to be I realised that it was impractical on the patio by the house where the power input is so sadly I sold it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version