Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Insert Madness.....Help Please!

<< < (7/7)

vtsteam:
I looked up that insert, Pekka, and for cast iron of 2.4" (60 mm) dia. -- my cylinder--  the minimum Vc  listed is 160 M/min. (525 sfpm). If my calculations are correct it would require as a minimum spinning that piece of iron at 875 RPM to take a cut.

That's not going to work.

PekkaNF:
They are industrial inserts and recommendations are designed for best utility and often for 15 min duration. I look primary for min/max. DOC, usually really can't go under r. BUT I go under cutting speed and on feed. Just don't have the spindle power and machine is not rigid. Main thing that surface finish is good enough and swarf behaves half decent. Sometimes I can tell that chip does not break right, but if that is the only problem, then fine. Took some practice.

Main reason I use carbide inserts is that alternative would be HSS: 1) Grinding is a hot work (Fire hazard), 2) coolant/lubricant. For some people this is not problem.....I use carbide dry. Then again, I am fine with threading tap and I have one cutting fluid for aluminium and one paste for iron metals. I use HSS when I have to....I guess I am bilingual now on cutting tools.

But lathe and milling machine spins cutting fluid pretty energeticly all over. Blue to red fast flying swarf from a happy carbide insert has it's own set of problems....I have been doing some boy band dance moves to shake it off.

vtsteam:
 :) I get you on the dance moves!

Same here also on machine rigidity, spindle power and coolant.

PekkaNF:
Today I YT recommeded me This Old Tony Video about carbides. Better than my ramblings:

Although, he forgot to tell about the utility of brazed carbide tooling with cast iron....but othervise spot on.

vtsteam:
Thanks Pekka, excellent video, particularly from the home shop perspective.  :beer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version