The Shop > Metal Stuff

Making Patterns for a Rider Engine

<< < (2/6) > >>

vtsteam:
Hunting around for some wood of the right size, I found a 4"x4" x 6' of basswood I had cut many years ago from a downed bigleaf linden. I cut off a chunk and roughed it to size on the bandsaw, and then split it. I also could have used two two by's of pine or other softwood without splitting them. But I had the basswood.

vtsteam:
I had marked the end circles with a compass, and decided to plane the blanks down to about 1/4" from the lines. That will cut down on the mess when I turn them on a lathe. Or I could keep on going with planes and finally sandpaper to bring it to shape.

I drilled and countersunk for long screws to fasten the two halves together.

vtsteam:
I brought the 20 year old Gingery lathe out of mothballs and set it up in the spare room upstairs. I do have a spur center, but the Gingery spindle wasn't bored for a morse taper to accept it (might be a new project). Anyway, rigged the pattern blank up in the 3 jaw, and made a sawdust mess. But fun, on a cold winter's day to be actually turning something!

I turned the main part of the cylinder as close as I could to the three jaw, then I turned down one end to the core print diameter (2"), reversed the pattern in the chuck and then turned down the other end. I used old fashioned divider type calipers to do all the dimensioning and checking. Worked great.  :dremel:

vtsteam:
Here's the finished turning:

PekkaNF:
I was about to ask about radiuses and drafts...but then I realized that his is a core of a cylinder bore ..... and ends will abut to sand...:doh:

Good writeup!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version