Author Topic: DTI Challenge 2022  (Read 7813 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: DTI Challenge 2022
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2022, 02:05:08 PM »
Thanks Bob!  :beer:

I'll try the wood in the spindle bush ckeaning trick -- I think you're right that may be the problem. The stop is a screw that goes into the end of the spindle under the cap at the top of the indicator. I also have been thinking that some corrosion or dirt above the bush under the screw head may be preventing it from sliding positively to a stop .

Thanks for letting me know about the non-existent jewels. Glad to know I'm not crazy, or didn't lose something when opening the clock!

Thanks for the good advice, too: I will be careful not to push the movement too fast when trying it, though I have to admit I probably did sometimes already. :wack:

As a side note, I just also took apart and cleaned my old dial caliper. I'd never have done either of these two things without your posts here and encouragement. I hadn't used the caliper for a few years, and the glass had got cracked. There was dirt in the rack. I made a new glass out of a seltzer bottle plastic (I think that was a tip from you years back) and got the movement pivots clean and lubricated, and the rack cleaned. Works beautifully again. I'm going back to using that with my Gingery lathe. I built the lathe with that caliper 20 years ago, so I feel like they go together. I actually like it better than the digitals I have. Just feels better to use. The digital calipers I'll use elsewhere -- just not with the Gingery. I know.....tool sentiment..... :loco:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2022, 05:41:55 PM »
their is nothing more satisfying than fixing sum thing once broken

Offline russ57

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2022, 08:02:49 PM »
their is nothing more satisfying than fixing sum thing once broken
Absolutely..