Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Lamina Type Hot Air Engine Antics

<< < (4/4)

vtsteam:
Almost a year later.....got it running!

It's doing about 180 RPM here, The main changes were separating the base so the lamp could be moved, packing half the test tube tightly with regenerator wool right to the end, and using graphite as a lubricant in the cylinder. Ideally, as Andrew remarked earlier, a graphite piston would be better than aluminum, but I didn't want to do that for this small purchase, just getting it running for now and trying different regenerator and lamp configurations was all I wanted.

It's not a very awe inspiring runner, but at least it does what it is supposed to, and it helps me work out a couple of the problems with regard to the engine I want to build. Happy with that after all this time!  :ddb:

awemawson:
I've got quite a bit of random graphite as electrodes for my plunger EDM machine Steve if you'd like some to experiment with.

vtsteam:
Thanks Andrew, I appreciate it. But I have nearly a 2 foot length of 1" graphite rod, a bit of which I used in my father's hot air engine. I made it for his 83rd birthday fifteen years ago. He and the engine, too are gone now. I just have a few photos.

I don't think I'll improve the little lamina engine. It's too small to be very gratifying as a runner. I do want to finish my larger engine that I started last year, though and it is helping to play with the poorly made little lamina.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version