Author Topic: Problem with Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro.  (Read 3175 times)

Offline DavidA

Problem with Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro.
« on: November 12, 2021, 03:36:24 PM »
Actually it's probably more a problem with the operator.

I have never used the power-feed facility on this machine, but have used it to cut threads.

I had reason to machine a longish shaft today, but couldn't get it to engage the feedscrew shaft.

As far as I know, the procedure is just the same as setting up to cut threads, but you move the feedscrew/leadscrew lever on top of the gear box to the feedscrew position.

Say I was cutting 20TPI threads, and I moved the leadscrew/feedscrew lever to feedscrew, the leadscrew should stop and the leadscrew should turn giving me a feed of 0.0153 thou per revolution of the chuck.

Or am I missing something ?

I am aware that all the changes on the gearbox have to be carried out with the lathe running and the gear train engaged.

Offline Pete.

Re: Problem with Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 02:13:03 PM »
As you say the top levers should be moved with the lathe running, the tumbler with it stopped (and the low/high lever moved with it running down just before stopping).

On my synchro I did find that you had to move the right hand lever quite smartly to the right to make the feed rod turn. If you were too gentle with it it would come out of threading but not engage feeding. Try being just a little bit more forcible with the lever.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 05:17:09 PM »
Pete,

Thanks for that. I could be that I'm not moving the lever smartly enough.

Tomorrow I'll try it again.

I'm cutting Metric threads at the moment, and that seems to be ok.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 01:43:43 AM »
Have a go david if that doesn't work you'll probably have to go into the gearbox which you want to avoid if you can becasue it's a devil of a job getting the tumbler lever back on properly once removed.

There's also a collar on the feed rod with a small grub screw locking it in place. It's there so you can set a limit of travel (to the left) under power feeding. When the apron pushes that collar (to the left) it pushes the whole rod against a pring and disengages the feed to stop the travel.

Finally there's a small key that I sheared on mine by power-feeding the cross-feed all the way out to the stop. It's a total swine to replace but if your lever selector doesn't fix the problem you'll have to check that key.
Pete

Offline DavidA

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 03:12:28 PM »
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the hints and the picture.

I did manage to engage the feed-screw by giving the lever a more 'manly' shove right.

But this only showed up a problem elsewhere.

With the feed-screw turning, nothing happens when I move the feed engagement lever on the apron. I can move it through it's full motion, but nothing.

So it looks as if I am going to have to open up the apron and see what has come adrift. First a good look at the drawings.

Any hints on this problem ?

Dave. :scratch:

Offline Pete.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 04:06:41 PM »
The only simple thing I can think of is the silver knob on the left that selects sliding/surfacing might be between positions. Turn it one way then the other and see if you get any movement.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 04:45:54 PM »
Forgot about that one. I'll go check it now. Back in a bit.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 04:54:38 PM »
That was it !

Seems to be working. I'll test it more tomorrow.

Thanks.

:thumbup: