Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

induction heater

<< < (4/4)

Muzzerboy:
I'd expect a converter like that, driving the coil directly, would be around 90% efficient and most of the switching losses are in the air cooled FETs. Even if you lost 50% of the resulting HF power in the copper coil, that would still be a fairly modest loss. And given that the power supply is rated at less than 400W, you are not going to challenge the radiator and fan no matter what you do.

Does it say what supply voltage you need to get it up to the claimed 1000W?

Modern processors only take around 30-40W whereas the graphics cards are in the 200-400W region, so I'd hope a water cooling system would be good for 500W or so. That would fit with the tpical PSU rating required these days, given that the output power all ends up as heat.

shipto:

--- Quote from: Muzzerboy on November 29, 2021, 01:48:57 PM ---I'd expect a converter like that, driving the coil directly, would be around 90% efficient and most of the switching losses are in the air cooled FETs. Even if you lost 50% of the resulting HF power in the copper coil, that would still be a fairly modest loss. And given that the power supply is rated at less than 400W, you are not going to challenge the radiator and fan no matter what you do.

Does it say what supply voltage you need to get it up to the claimed 1000W?

Modern processors only take around 30-40W whereas the graphics cards are in the 200-400W region, so I'd hope a water cooling system would be good for 500W or so. That would fit with the tpical PSU rating required these days, given that the output power all ends up as heat.

--- End quote ---
I think 48volts is the maximum they suggest for running this unit but I did hook my meter to it and the unit was drawing 13 amps which goes down to around 7.5 when the part (a M12 bolt) gets as hot as it will go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version