Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

induction heater

<< < (3/4) > >>

PekkaNF:
That cooler might be just a tad to small, also the flow of coolant might be too low. I would check up if that will provide good enough cycle time, if just a tad too marginal....like 50% would be better, then I would add large enough reservoir of coolant to increase thermal mass and larger pump to pump between reservoir and coil and use up that exisisting system of your PC radiator and small pump to cool the reservoir between heavier use and pauses.

shipto:
So despite the cold and my shed heater packing up I still managed a bit of progress. All the bits are fitted and wired up which wasn't hard.
The output from the temperature controller is wired via the main switch so if it gets too high it will switch off automatically and not start again until its cooled to the lower setting, all pretty standard.
I am still undecided about using the plastic bottle as the header tank because fitting it will be awkward and I might make/Aquire something that fits better.

shipto:

--- Quote from: PekkaNF on November 15, 2021, 03:48:53 AM ---That cooler might be just a tad to small, also the flow of coolant might be too low. I would check up if that will provide good enough cycle time, if just a tad too marginal....like 50% would be better, then I would add large enough reservoir of coolant to increase thermal mass and larger pump to pump between reservoir and coil and use up that exisisting system of your PC radiator and small pump to cool the reservoir between heavier use and pauses.

--- End quote ---
The way I'm thinking at the moment is I might need a stronger pump but as I managed to use it with no cooling at all some cooling must improve things right? If it turns out not to be enough there is room in there for a bigger pump.

shipto:
So because I couldn't wait I hooked it up to test it and I am quite happy I ran it for a good while and the temperature never exceeded 17.2C although its not running at anywhere near full power.
I think that in the future I will get a power supply that will run it better, currently its on a 24volt 15amp and even though I haven't checked the amps its drawing it doesn't seem to be putting the power supply under any strain so I think (size permitting) I will get hold of a 36 or 48 volt supply.
There is very little heat in the caps and only a tad more on the mosfets but its providing enough heat to the part to do what I want it for which is mostly going to be oil blackening parts but if I could get enough heat for hardening parts that would be a bonus.
One thing I will do is rotate the pump so the inlet and outlet are at the top to prevent any air lock in the pump, I should have thought of that before actually.

PekkaNF:
Nice to hear it works on first try.

Thermal management is pretty straightforward in principle, but in practice if can be challenging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version