Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Peening tips?

(1/3) > >>

Mike K:
I'm making a pair of Kant Twist clamps.  I'm not using threaded fasteners to hold the plates together; according to the plans I have, I've made pins and am peening the ends.  The trouble is that the slop that I thought would go away hasn't.  My pin shoulders wound up about 2-3 thou smaller than the holes, and they're about 102 thou long going into 16 gauge (62 thou) thick arm plates.  After a few minutes of peening with a small ball pein hammer I have the pin staying in and not falling out, but the 2-3 thou slop is still there and the extra 40 thou that I thought was needed for peening hasn't reduced that much.  So, there's slop in both directions.

I'm wondering if: 1) My hammer is too big?...it's 8 oz and on the scale of the 3/16" pins maybe the end is too flat?  B) The extra 40 thou beyond the plate thickness is too much?  The plans were calling for 60 thou, though.  And iii) I just need to spend much more time hammering?

Any tips for peeing would be appreciated.

awemawson:
You are peening round the edge of the pin not just hitting it square on aren’t you?

Mike K:
Well, no...I was hitting it square, but with the round nose end of the hammer.  I guess this is an obvious mistake.

Mike K:
Actually, I was hitting every spot on the face, square on as well as the edge.  I think I need a smaller nosed tool, like maybe a small drift with the nose rounded?  The pin face is only 3/16".

chipenter:
Rivet snaps are the tool to use , you can make them with a ball nosed end mill or buy them ready made . 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version