Author Topic: Microwave oven  (Read 462 times)

Offline NormanV

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 618
  • Country: gb
  • United Kingdom
Microwave oven
« on: October 25, 2021, 03:14:26 PM »
Some time ago I dismantled a microwave oven. I was looking for the copper coils of the transformer to melt down. I was dissapointed to find that the coils were aluminium. :doh: All was not lost as there were two lovely magnets that have been fun to play with but as yet I have not found a use for them. No doubt I will one day.
Inside the workings of a microwave oven is beryllium oxide which is apparently very dangerous. At the time I was not aware of this. How long will it be before I start to transform into a zombie, or whatever, due to my exposure to this dangerous chemical?
This is  serious question despite my light-hearted attitude. Throughout my life I have been exposed to many chemicals that we did not know were dangerous until it was too late. I am still alive and reasonably healthy, I am 74. How dangerous are these chemicals? I stopped smoking 53 years ago but still drink excessive alcohol, I eat less meat than I used to and more vegetables. I wish I knew the secret to long life.

Offline Muzzerboy

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 98
  • Country: gb
    • The Mighty Shiz
Re: Microwave oven
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 03:24:48 PM »
BeO would only be hazardous if you managed to grind it up into fine powder and inhale it. That it itself might be pretty tricky!

Offline NormanV

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 618
  • Country: gb
  • United Kingdom
Re: Microwave oven
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 03:38:34 PM »
I crunched the part that I believe contained Beryllium Oxide with a pair of pliers. I think that may have produced some fine dust that floated in the atmosphere. How much do you need to breathe in to be affected?
 Please do not think that I am paranoid about this, it is too late to worry. It is just that I am interested in risk management. I have had arguements (discussions) with factory inspectors in the past. Are we making too much of tiny risks?

Offline WeldingRod

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 374
Re: Microwave oven
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 04:28:32 PM »
More like carcinogenic.  Clean up your dust with a wet.paper towel.
I wouldn't be super worried about a one time exposure to a little accidentally generated dust.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk


Offline tom osselton

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1141
  • Country: ca
Re: Microwave oven
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 04:31:42 PM »
The secret to long life is Relax and keep breathing!
PS.
Donít apply for the Darwin awards!