Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

3d printer - Leapfrog creatr conversion

<< < (5/12) > >>

BillTodd:
I was not happy with the glass bed , I could not get things to stick to it and it took an age to heat to even 50'C, its 240w heat way too small for such a large piece of glass.

While watching the Prusa XL launch , I was taken by the idea of a segmented bed , so decided to build one for the FrogSpawn. While sourcing a suitable piece of cast tooling plate from the 'works' my friend overheard what I wanted it for and promptly donated ten 120x100 heater pads  - :-) perfect.

The mod involves bending the front of the existing Z plate , to remove a nice little 'finger-shear'  between the plate and the front of the frame. and mounting it below the ball-screw nuts to increase Z range. Four rectangular bars fixed to the underside of the Z-plate and a rear support , stiffen the Z-plate and provide mounting points for the Kastal 300 bed-plates

The heated bed-plates will mount on springs at each corner , with screws for adjustment.  Once properly adjusted the bed should stay trammed and level.

The nine 240vac 120w heaters will be controlled from a RaspberryPi Pico with a 9 way PID written in microPython  . 

The problem I have yet to solve is how to control the bed temperature from Marlin or, via g-code, from the BTT display controller.

Ideally, Marlin would be able to talk to the Pico via a spare serial port and report temperatures back to the display. However, I found no way to do this in Marlin :-(

My work around plan , is to intercept or monitor the serial data between the BTT LCD and the BTT Octopus board and intercept the appropriate M-codes .

Interception , means breaking the like between the two boards and inserting the Pico , but now the Pico would have to handle all the traffic and could be a potential bottleneck. 

Monitoring means just sniffing the data going to the Octopus board and picking up the bed control M-codes as they pass by. In order to let Marlin know the bed temperature , the centre plate's thermistor would have to be paralleled with both the Pico and the Octopus  . Any thoughts?

WeldingRod:
3 point mounts are your friend on this stuff...  much easier to adjust.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

BillTodd:
Yes, I did look at 3point mounts, but decided that corner mounts were simpler to implement . Hopefully, itll be just the one PITA adjustment session.

BillTodd:
Progress is slow here ATM  -I'm  lacking motivation and easily distracted

Such as converting a microwave oven to a UV curing device for the resin printer.

And now, the oven's transformer is pulling me towards making a small spot-welder .

And Stefan Gotteswinter's new grinder has me thinking about a surface grinder project

:proj:
Anyway back to the segmented bed  - which I'm calling the Lillipad ( just to maintain the aquatic theme :-))

I've got the bed plates mounted and, as predicted above, levelling is a PITA but do-able.

I've bonded the nine heater pads to the plates and (since the photo) connected earth leads an thermistors to each.

All I have to do is complete the software to control it  - ( zero motivation )

Wire it  - (majorly conflicted as to where to put the controller   -i.e. put the SSRs on the Z plate to  reduce the number of wires  or drop a multicore cable down to a nice, and easily constructed, box on the base plate ?  - I'm almost certainly over thinking it.

BillTodd:
Microwave oven curing station:

The cube in the centre is the yellow  PLA one printed above  - it fluoresces intensely in the 405nm blue light   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version