Author Topic: Tight persons coolant pump  (Read 3871 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Tight persons coolant pump
« on: October 10, 2021, 11:25:34 AM »
I have wanted to fit a coolant pump to my lathe for a good while and since I am being asked to do more stuff for the die heads via my wifes work I figured I ought to get on with it. Looking at the cost of the self contained systems however I almost fainted  :lol:
My Harrison has a shaft that protrudes through the head that I assume was for a coolant pump when it was first made sometime around the 1940's so I am going to make use of that. I did try searching for the correct pump to fit onto it but no luck there.
I just happened to have one of the cheap as chips Draper drill powered pumps lying around in the shop so I am going to attempt to drive that from the shaft with a couple of GT2 pullies.
I have already made the boss for the drive side and fitted it with the first pulley and the next job is to mount the pump itself with a bit of adjustment to tension the belt. I am thinking that GT2 may not quite be up to the job and I may have to invest in a set of GT3 pullies and belt.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: Tight persons coolant pump
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »
I rigged it up for a trial run last night and found a little problem in that it does not self prime which is easy enough to fix with a one way valve on the output side. The flow was reasonable once primed however but I noticed the shaft wobbles about like a really wobbly thing. There is no attempt at bushing this shaft at all and its just running in plastic but I guess you cant expect too much for the few quid they cost so I am going to open it out and stick some brass in there to make it more stable.
As there was no leakage from the shaft I guess the seal they have in there is good enough for the job so for now I wont worry about that bit.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 04:33:50 PM »
My Pedrazzoli cold saw uses a standard 'fuel lift pump' of the sort that have a cam arm resting on a lobe of the cam shaft. In this case there is an eccentric on the main motor shaft that operates it.

Available cheaply in any scrap yard, it seems to provide ample flow and is self priming.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 01:10:48 PM »
My Pedrazzoli cold saw uses a standard 'fuel lift pump' of the sort that have a cam arm resting on a lobe of the cam shaft. In this case there is an eccentric on the main motor shaft that operates it.

Available cheaply in any scrap yard, it seems to provide ample flow and is self priming.
That was another thing I thought of and if I cant get this working well enough I may go that route.

EDIT: This has just made me think of another modification I am planning for the lathe which will make the cheapo pump unusable.
I picked up a 2.2KW 3 phase motor which I had intended to put on the lathe with the intention of running the lathe in slow speed reverse to make left handed threads with a die head. This pump is only intended to run in one direction but that type of pump would be just as happy running backwards as it would forwards. So I owe you thanks for saving me some work getting this finished.  :Doh:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 01:25:48 PM »
 :beer: