Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

RC Steam Powered Trike

(1/3) > >>

Bernd:
The project begins. June, 17, 2009. That's so I can go back and remember when I started.

Here's a C-o-C side view of what it's going to look like in general.

I've gathered some raw material to start the project. Starting from the left. !/2" thick aluminum plate for the cross members of the frame. 1.250" thick by 13.125" long plate to mill the "C" channel from. A piece of 1.250 brass for the inner rear wheel hubs. A piece of 2.125" dia. copper pipe for the front wheel and last a piece of 5" dia. copper tube to make the rear wheels.

The .5" thick plate will be used to make cross members for the frame. The 1.250" thick plate will be used to make the frame. The 2.125" pipe for the front wheel and the 5" pipe for the two rear wheels.

The two side frame pieces will end up looking like the C-o-C sketch below.

For the rear wheels I'd like to make something like Dennis (4151df) has done on his steam tractor build over at HMEM.
Here's the LINK The first two posts are of his method of making spoke wheels for Rudy Kouhoupt’s Model Steam Tractor. I'd like to get the book from Village press but am still undecided. My just use the examples from Dennis' pictures. As far as the front wheel is concerned I haven't got anything planned for that yet other than size.

So that's about it for the first installment. I'm waiting for the rain they predicted today so I don't feel so guilty playing in the shop. Next post will show how I made the frames.

Regards,
Bernd

sbwhart:
Bernd

This is going to be a real interesting project I take it when you've got the frame done your going over to the wheels, are they going to be spoked ?, building up a spoked wheel should be fun.  :D

Reading the corespondence between you chaps regarding the engine design, realy braught it home to me how little I know about engines and thier valve arrangements.  :bow:

Have fun

Stew

Brass_Machine:
Anxious to see how this goes!  :smart:

Eric

Bernd:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on June 17, 2009, 03:42:11 PM ---Anxious to see how this goes!  :smart:

Eric

--- End quote ---

Your anxious, I'm terrified.  :lol:

I'm hoping that I can bring this project through it's stages and to a final end. It's going to be a test for me since I don't ever seem to be able to finish a project I begin. That's why I'm going for one with many different little subassemblies. Hopefully they'll keep my interest up all the way through.

Stew,

I've had an interest as long as I can remember about locomotives and any kind of steam power. Have always gotten books on the subject. I have a high curiosity index. I just know just enough about the subject to get me into trouble.  :D

Hope to have something by the week end to post.

Bernd

P.S. Corrected so the right person knows who I'm posting to.  :scratch:  Thanks Darren.

Darren:
I think you mean Stew John..... :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version