The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

It's BIG, Yellow and digs holes! JCB 3CX Project 8 is joining the Tractor Shed

<< < (20/53) > >>

hermetic:
Ouch! that is rather scored, turn it down and sleeve it? Our American cousins have a full range of ready made sleeves on the shelf but I don't  know if they are available in the uk, of course it is probably hard as the hobbs of hell, but I am sure you have machines and inserts that will cope with it! Metal spraying could be an alternative.
Phil

awemawson:
Phil, It just so happens that I have a replacement to hand - I thought it unlikely that it wasn't scored so I bought one in anticipation! I had thought that if it were I could mount it in the cylindrical grinder  and remove a few thou but though not cheap they don't break the bank!

Now the issue is removing the old seal - my brand new seal removal tool broke on it's first outing  :bang:

I'll probably fabricate a puller but not today - company due any minute !

awemawson:
So this morning I made a 'slide hammer' to remove that pesky seal.

(6 mm silver steel 'hook' bent red hot, threaded into a 7/16 rod with a bung welded on the far end and a random bar end drilled 1/2" as the hammer)

Did it work? . . . Well initially NO  :bang:

It was obviously applying significant force and although distorting the flat steel face of the seal, the axial part just wasn't for coming out.

Reluctantly I ground up a very small chisel and gently cut through the flat steel face at one point and only then would the axial part release. I can only suppose that it had been installed with Loctite bearing retainer or some such product.

Now the seal is out the oil of course wants to drain to a lower level so while that happens I'm off to chop firewood. Hopefully this afternoon I can put it back together with the new seal.

awemawson:
So after lunch I fitted the new oil seal to the differential pinion shaft.

Before fitting the yoke I had to fettle it's casting to fit the genuine JCB spanner - it's obviously a pattern part.

Once the yoke was back in place (which took quite a bit of tapping to get on the new heavily greased seal) I torqued up the special 36 mm AF nut with my newly acquired monster Britool torque wrench to 250 nM. Then I staked the nut and re-fitted the UJ retaining saddles. This wasn't without incident as of course the needle roller bearings wanted to all fall out.

OK when the needles were all back it was just a case of torquing the 12 point bolts retaining the saddles to 79 nM with my baby Britool torque wrench, however this wasn't entirely straight forward as locking the prop shaft from turning with a bar through the UJ in two of the four positions needed blocked putting the spanner on  :bang: Anyway all now done.

I've set the hub draining ready for my next session which won't be until Monday at the earliest.

awemawson:
Today's objective: Remove the hub and dismantle the bearing and seal assembly ready for new components.

Well I achieved it in the end but it was a mighty struggle. Actually removing the hub was easy, Two bolts retain it from the rear once the wheel is off (wheel studs being the main mechanical retention). Method is to slacken the bolts and tap them to force the planet gear 'top hat' off its seal. Then the removal of the sun gear and the gear annulus was easy once I'd determined that the extracting bolts were M12 (a lot of Imperial fittings as well as metric on this machine)

Then the fun started . . . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version