The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

It's BIG, Yellow and digs holes! JCB 3CX Project 8 is joining the Tractor Shed

<< < (32/53) > >>

pycoed:
Very interesting... I have a front driveshaft U/J (same double U/J configuration) gone on my Zetor 7045, along with knackered bottom & probably top knuckle bearings. Can't steer to the left, reliably! Eventually (after replacing multiple worn steering joints around the power assisted steering, I diagnosed that the knuckle bearing(s) had failed allowing the rollers to pile up in one direction. Not having any flat concrete or even really flat hardcore to jack up the front - this took a bit of doing!
The Zetor has shim set taper rollers (booo!) but each trunnion housing has six holes, two of which function as jack off points (hurray!), so removing them should ( ha!) be OK. I then have to remove the outer races, there are large Welch plugs sealing the outer races top & bottom, but I don't know until I start the job whether there are drifting grooves to punch out the races or not, therefore it will probably involve some upside down welding & multiple profanities for the bottom one.
Currently awaiting parts to arrive from Czech Republic.

awemawson:
In this picture it probably looks much as it did, but the Cowl and Bumper have had their second coat - just in time for me to spruce up ready to greet the next two pairs of cottage guests. In the flesh it looks better coverage. I remember when painting the flail mower it wasn't the easiest colour to get coverage without runs !

A few days drying now before re-fitting

awemawson:
Pycoed that looks to be an almost identical arrangement - actually it's not that different to series Landrovers.

Good luck with the changing of the bearings - I supose the rollers are acting like a sprag clutch !

awemawson:
Yesterday I refitted the Cowl and Bumper leaving all bolts loose. It's fit will need adjusting on these bolts to match the hinged engine cover and engine side cover to get the various gaps and angle correct.

Of course the hinged cover is badly shown up by the newly painted bits, so I have removed it and hope to sand blast and paint in the next few days.

Meanwhile the pivots for the hinges needed attention. Originally there were bushes riveted onto both moving halves with a grooved pin as pivot and a clip to retain in. The bushes had rusted to the pin and come loose, and the clips were in a sorry state. Redesign called for. I've turned up a 12.5 mm wide brass hex spacer to be the same width as two bushes, and bored it for a 12 mm shoulder bolt which eventually will be retained by a self locking nyloc nut. This involved slicing the original bushes off with an angle grinder - should work fine.

So next job lug out the big sandblaster.

russ57:
So, you will be attaching the 'keep it genuine' label with a fabricated part....

-russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version