Author Topic: Makita DGD800 die grinder long nose getting hot, is that right?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline dwc

Makita DGD800 die grinder long nose getting hot, is that right?
« on: September 25, 2021, 03:54:47 AM »
Hi, I bought a DGD800 die grinder the other day and on the test run I noticed the nose gets surprisingly warm surprisingly quickly. After a few minutes of use I was thinking the temperature would be the limiting factor for how long I could use the tool. I'd guess that after 10 minutes of use I wouldn't be able to hold it in my bare hand. What I find odd is that I'd have assumed there was nothing in the nose section except the shaft and a bearing. They do an otherwise identical short nose version after all. Thanks.

Offline djc

Re: Makita DGD800 die grinder long nose getting hot, is that right?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 04:25:45 AM »
You do not say whether you bought it new or second-hand. If it is new, take it up with the seller and request a refund or fix under warranty or test another sample to see if it does the same. If it is second hand, perhaps that is why it was being sold.

Makita spare parts are very reasonably priced and many people sell them. Exploded diagram here:

https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/makita-dgd800-cordless-18v-lxt-die-grinder-spare-parts-s18461/

I have used that seller and they are acceptable. Another one is Miles Tool - usually a little more pricey but sometimes quicker. Also L&S Engineers - usually cheap if in stock, still cheap but slow if not in stock.

If you need to change the bearings, buy a quality make not some generic unknown form eBay.

Offline dwc

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 06:35:00 AM »
Thanks, it was bought new. It's nice an quite in operation, there's no obvious sign the bearings are failing. I'll get in touch with the seller and see if they'll exchange it. Would still be interested to know other peoples opinions though.

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 01:07:08 PM »
I have a similar one, but Bosch and it does get hot after some time. I never use it for long periods so it’s never been a problem, though. Usually a few minutes with a rotating file.
Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline dwc

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 06:17:11 PM »
Thanks for the help, I think the problem was more with the operator than the tool :-).

Today I ran it for 15 minutes flat out carving some timber, way more than I will ever normally use it in one stretch. When I really pushed it hard the front bearing got hot but if I used it more normally it was fine. It hit equilibrium after a few minutes and didn't get any hotter.