The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

What's the deal with Clockwork Square Dimples?

<< < (2/2)

philf:
I found this on a clock and watch forum which more-or-less confirms Andrew's flattening theory:

"The process was called "Planieren" (planing, grading) and was used to roughen the plates
and relieve tension. Junghans applied for a patent in Germany in 1930 and actually received a Swiss
patent (152302) Jan. 31, 1932.
Starting with alarm clock movements, the dotted plates became more and more typical for Junghans after 1930,
depending on the movement.
The machines used for the process spared out drilled holes and bushings automatically, so that these would not
have been narrowed down or closed by the planing.

Source: "Uhrzeiten - Innovationen in Technik und Design" 2011 by Stadtmuseum Schramberg, Lixfeld & Raststätter, ff.

The German patent is DRP 529786, published July 1931."

S. Heslop:
Mystery solved! Thanks very much.

I always find these sorts of things interesting though. Like ways of constructing stuff that seems very specific to a sector of engineering.

awemawson:
I’d be very interested to see the machine that puts the dimples in.

If it is just a flat platten and a multi spiked squashing thing it must be quite hard to make.

If it’s a single spike that is moved to each point then I’d expect the workpiece to curl rather than become flatter.

S. Heslop:
Yeah me too. Searching for the word "Planieren" found a suggestion that it's a roller, which I wouldn't expect to produce flat parts so that might be nonsense.

But a roller or a plate would explain why they're always square dimples, since that'd be alot easier to cut as a grid of V slots.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version