Home Base > Announcements & Issues

Great Dorset Steam Fair

<< < (3/3)

bogstandard:
I always found at steam rallies, people never really get their money's worth.

They go, look at everything as they walk around, a couple of hours later, they have seen enough and taken a load of pics, then they go home.

If they just opened their mouths, and spoke to the people running say a small engine as a sideline display, they will be greeted with open arms, and everything they ever needed to know would be told to them.
Every displayer there will have a story to tell, and is only too willing to talk about it. The displayers are not there to stand all day doing nothing. So get involved, and you might find that short walk around has taken the whole day, and you can't wait until the next year to find out even more.

So even a medium sized rally like the Malpas one, can, if you are willing to ask and talk, keep you occupied for the whole day, maybe more, and you will certainly get your money's worth.

BTW, at events like this, even the other half can get involved, there are craft areas, handbag stalls, nick knacks and shoe salesmen, all waiting to drain your wallet.

Bogs

sbwhart:

--- Quote from: bogstandard on July 22, 2009, 04:06:06 AM ---
BTW, at events like this, even the other half can get involved, there are craft areas, handbag stalls, nick knacks and shoe salesmen, all waiting to drain your wallet.

Bogs

--- End quote ---

I'll hide her cards   :lol:

Stew

NickG:

--- Quote ---
I'll hide her cards   :lol:

Stew

--- End quote ---

:lol:

Bogs is right though, I've been going to them since I was probably under the age of 10. I was there because my dad would be displaying vintage cars, but I would spend most of my time around the miniature traction engines, stationery engines or in the model tent! I would talk to people even in my early teens, probably made the exhibitors uncomfortable by hanging around for so long!

I still often see some of the old guys that used to give me rides on their model traction engines at steam fairs and even let me take control of them on some occasions!

I always say you need more than a day at them, we used to camp at pickering for the 3 days.

Nick

Brass_Machine:
Would like to go... Just a little too far for me!

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version