Author Topic: box tool with parting.  (Read 6805 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
box tool with parting.
« on: August 20, 2021, 03:33:56 PM »
I have a kind of second job I do for my wifes work refurbishing die heads. To start it wasn't much work but it provided me with enough shed tokens to make it worth my while. Anyway they have lately been asking me to make replacement parts and the most recent one is some long bolts which is giving me a bit of a headache.

After deciding that turning 1/4" bar down to 0.135" was far too much hassle to make them for the price they would be happy to pay I have decided to make a box tool so I can turn down the diameter in one pass, this is the easy bit Chronos actually sell the tools (no stock right now however) but I have thought about making one with a parting feature as well.

The picture shows my efforts designing with freecad so far the parting blade will mount in the milled slot and I am thinking of a cam to push it forward into the work and a pretty hefty spring to return it.

I would love to hear thoughts on this idea.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline philf

Re: box tool with parting.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 03:20:03 AM »
The small diameter turning tool has been out of stock at Chronos for a long time. I needed one to make some 6BA studs so I made one. (2 actually - one for me and one for a friend.)
I never thought of building in a parting tool. I would go for a lever with a pin running in a vertical slot rather than a cam and spring.
I just turned long lengths of the required diameter and cut them to just over the required length with a hacksaw before facing to length and chamfering.
Phil Fern

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 03:42:15 AM »
I guess a pin in a vertical slot would make sure it didn't get stuck forward, good shout.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 03:46:02 AM »
I guess a pin in a vertical slot would make sure it didn't get stuck forward, good shout. Do you have any pictures of the one you made BTW?

Offline philf

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 07:09:27 AM »
I'll post some photos later when I'm home.
Phil Fern

Offline philf

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 01:19:56 PM »
I guess a pin in a vertical slot would make sure it didn't get stuck forward, good shout. Do you have any pictures of the one you made BTW?

Here are a few pics:

In the first pic the larger grub screw is to adjust the cutting edge to dead-on centre height.

A parting tool would have to be directly opposite the cutting edge of the diameter tool so would have to mount to the 6mm plate which carries the guide bushes.

I do have a CAD drawing somewhere.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 03:03:25 PM »
Exellent, I noticed the chamfer on the cutting tool that would be for countersunk bolts? I am still thinking over some of the details for mine but have made a start so will start a thread after I have had my tea.

Offline philf

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 03:24:21 PM »
Exellent, I noticed the chamfer on the cutting tool that would be for countersunk bolts? I am still thinking over some of the details for mine but have made a start so will start a thread after I have had my tea.

The 'chamfer' is an optical illusion - it's quite sharp with perhaps a 0.1mm stoned radius.
Phil Fern

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 04:05:19 PM »

The 'chamfer' is an optical illusion - it's quite sharp with perhaps a 0.1mm stoned radius.
Fair enough  :)