Author Topic: The Devil made me do it  (Read 3086 times)

Offline ddmckee54

The Devil made me do it
« on: September 17, 2021, 04:03:42 PM »
This is the 3rd time I've tried to post this, if they ALL suddenly show up, I'm gonna have some 'splainin to do.

OK, a week or so ago I was minding my own business cleaning and rearranging my shop to make room for a new CNC that I've been working on - slowly.  I've been working on the CNC router slowly, not cleaning the shop slowly - although that too is turning out to be a long drawn out process.  Anyway, I'd been at it a couple of hours when I found 3 of the 4 bench dogs that came with my Black and Decker Workmate when I bought it back in the Dark Ages - seems like it was that long ago anyway.  They look a lot like this. 

Well crap - only 3 out of 4, that makes them useless right, might as well pitch them right?  Then a little voice whispered in my ear that I've got a 3D printer, I can MAKE a replacement - good enough for me.  And away I go, out of the dusty amd messy shop into the less dusty and less messy livingroom - because that's where the 3D printer lives.  An hour or so later and I've got the 3D model for the bench dog complete.  Let's just say I'm not fast at this 3D stuff and leave it at that - OK?  An hour of so of printing later and I've got a shiny new replacement bench dog.  It looks a lot like this.

Here's a family shot of the B&D Bench Dog family and the adopted son, can you tell which one he is?

By now it's late afternoon.  HEY!!!  A man works that hard he deserves a little break - OK?  Anyway, about an hours worth of cleaning later... I found the missing B&D bench dog!  Here's the Bench Dog family and the Grey-headed step-child.

Half a day wasted, oh well - I sorta had fun anyway.  I told ya, the Devil made me do it.

Don
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 10:37:06 AM by ddmckee54 »
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline russ57

Re: The Devil made me do it
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 07:55:16 PM »
Sorry, can't see the pictures.
I printed a b&d workmate dog from thingiverse but I don't have a real one to compare with.
I think it is a bit loose.

-russ

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 10:42:26 AM »
I made the album that those links go to in Google Photos a shared album.  Does that let you see the pictures?

Still figuring the posting pictures thing out, and each forum seems to need a little different procedure.

Don

Offline philf

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 12:47:04 PM »
I don't think you can share photos on Google to a website. That certainly was the case when PhotoBucket started charging to host photos to link to websites.

You can either add them as attachments or find another host for the photos.
Phil Fern

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 04:59:36 PM »
Photobucket Ha! I get about 3 emails a week asking me if I still want my account.

Offline russ57

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 04:51:40 AM »
Yep, photos visible now.

Looking good.
Bit different to the thingiverse model.
It has a barb like stem, so it is sort of loose.

-russ

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 03:20:02 PM »
SOME of my original B&D dogs had the barbed prongs sticking up, but these things are old enough that they'd turned brittle and some had just broken off.  The prongs don't add to the holding power of the dogs, they just keep the dogs from falling out when you turn the Workmate over.  I didn't bother modeling the prongs because I couldn't think of any orientation to print the model with the dogs that wouldn't require a lot of support.  Most of the time when I use the Workmate I'm using it as a vise.  The dogs just get in the way of doing that so I take them out.  That's probably why I found 3 of them in one spot, and the 4th someplace else. 

Google Photos has worked for me so far and it's free - as long as I keep my file storage to under 17GB.  Even at a couple of MB per picture that's a LOT of pictures, probably not many videos though.  I've just got to remember to make the album a shared album, not a private album like it originally was.  I also had that problem on another forum.  It took me a while to figure it out because I can see the pictures anywhere Google recognizes me, whether I'm at home or at work.  So I thought other people would be able to see them too, since I provided the link.

Don