Author Topic: Tailstock Turret toolholder ?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline paulmo101

Tailstock Turret toolholder ?
« on: July 04, 2021, 05:23:33 AM »
Hi
Just wondering if anyone uses a tailstock turret tool holder ?   I`m looking at the arc euro stuff and I think it would be useful when doing ops such as drill and taping as I would usually use a centre drill then a taping drill then maybe a csk bit to give a lead in and then a taping guide along with the tap.  This would be 4 tool changes and if doing say 5 or so of the same item the time adds up.
Just looking for any thoughts on the turrets - good, bad or otherwise.  Also anyone know of a supplier for a Jacobs taper 2 to straight shank - around 12mm would be great ?   I know I can make one failing all else.
Thanks for reading

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
Re: Tailstock Turret toolholder ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 06:53:06 AM »
I have a tailstock turret which i have used on a few occasions. I’ve slowly come to the conclusion that it has to be quite the repeating job before I set it up, but I’m always glad to have it when those jobs do come around. Mine is bought several years ago from Arc. The locking mechanism on mine leaves a little to be desired but it does work. In a flash of inspiration I bought quite a few of the blank end arbors for it. That was a good decision as it means I can make my tool setups more rigid.
Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline paulmo101

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 11:15:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 11:35:27 AM »
I have an MT3 one somewhere that on occasion has been handy - centre drill - tapping drill - tap sort of thing but in all honesty I'd be pushed to locate it'

If I do I'll pop a picture up
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline paulmo101

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 01:16:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 03:05:13 PM »
Found it - it was filed under 'small chucks - various' ! and turns out to be MT2 with an adaptor.

Can't for the life of me remember where I got it - might well have been at an SM&EE deceased effects auction but that's just a hunch - have some pictures:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex