Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Building a 1 meter tall RGB LED tower

<< < (2/3) > >>

spuddevans:
So the next step was to assemble the PCB that interfaces between the main processor PCB and all of the "rings" of RGB LEDs, I'm calling it the Interconnect PCB.

Next up will be the rings of RGB LEDs, all 550 of them (550 times 4 pins, 2200 solder joints....... this may take a while  :bang: )

Thanks for watching
Tim

spuddevans:
Part 4 - assembling and soldering all the "rings" of LEDs, 4 pins per LED, 16 LEDs per ring, 32 rings = 2000+ solder joints using about 6 meters of 0.7mm 60/40 solder !!
Tried 1st of all soldering them my own way, then after a couple of "rings" I discovered some advice in the supplied manual and tried a couple of "rings" using their method. Their method did NOT give a warm fuzzy feeling, more like a murderous, seething contempt.  :bang: :zap: :bang: (note to self, take the manual with a small shovel of salt!!)

Anywho, here's the next installment,

Next up will be taking all of these completed "rings" and then constructing a tower with them (another 500+ solder joints, then running another 3 wires from each LED "ring" to the Interconnect PCB.

Thanks for watching,
Tim

Brass_Machine:
Oooohhhh Why didn't I see this sooner???

Very very cool. Haven't watched the vids yet... I will do that later tonight.

I built a very small LED cube (3x3x3) That was a pain. Can't imagine one that is a meter tall!!

spuddevans:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on July 16, 2021, 06:37:39 PM ---I built a very small LED cube (3x3x3) That was a pain. Can't imagine one that is a meter tall!!

--- End quote ---

I built a blue 8x8x8 LED cube a couple years ago, that was fun!!! I've been looking out for a RGB 8x8x8 cube kit but not found one yet, that would be a real challenge!

Tim

Brass_Machine:
Mine was a Radio Shack kit (miss that place)... when they tried to make a last grasp at what made them (being a DIY store).

Thought I saw a 9x9x9 kit on banggood??

Maybe it was aliexpress

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version