Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Building a 1 meter tall RGB LED tower

(1/3) > >>

spuddevans:
Well it's been a bit since I posted anything up (life kept getting in the way of projects  :bang: :bang: ) but I've recently started back into an old hobby of electronics, not anything majorly complicated, mainly been getting some cheap chinese-sourced kits, and making some videos of building them, and bunging them on U-tube so I can bore a whole new bunch of folk  :lol:

Recently I started a fairly big project, I got a kit from Banggood of a RGB LED tower (about 550 LEDs standing about a meter tall). It has a little speaker in it and also has bluetooth, but I doubt I'll bother using it for playing back music, it's more in the enjoyment of building it, and documenting the build process for anyone else to learn from my mistakes!!

So if you're having trouble getting off to sleep, why not give this a watch!!

Part 1 - what's in the kit

Next up will be actually building the main PCB (lots of SMD soldering  :bang: "oh, joy!"  :bang: )
Tim

spuddevans:
Part 2 is released into the wild!!!

In this video we get into building the main PCB which has a number of SMD passives & IC's. These are all soldered with a conventional soldering iron and 0.7mm leaded solder   :headbang:

Enjoy!

Muzzerboy:
Looks like a pretty large job you have on your hands there. What is the purpose of this tower - is it a sort of year round Xmas tree or a disco accessory? How do you drive it - with an audio input or some form of programmed sequence. Should be quite a sight when it's done!

John Rudd:
Watching....

spuddevans:

--- Quote from: Muzzerboy on July 02, 2021, 02:39:47 PM ---What is the purpose of this tower - is it a sort of year round Xmas tree or a disco accessory?
--- End quote ---

No practical purpose, I just like coloured lights  :D

--- Quote ---How do you drive it - with an audio input or some form of programmed sequence. Should be quite a sight when it's done!

--- End quote ---

It has a 3.5mm audio input jack and has bluetooth as well a little speaker (of very dubious quality, but i don't think I'll be using it for listening to music through) I think it has pre-programmed display functions, or it can respond to music thru the 3.5mm input jack or the Bluetooth receiver.

It hopefully will turn out pretty funky, but it's a fun project to challenge myself with.

Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version