The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

I'm Fed Up with Electronic Measuring Gauges !

(1/4) > >>

awemawson:
Recently I pulled two rather nice Mitutoyo Digital dial gauges out of the cupboard where they've been stored for several year (without batteries) and neither would work - I could get no life out of them.

A cheap Chinese digital Depth Gauge that I've had for years in the middle of being used, just packed up - no amount of poking and prodding would get it going again, so I replaced it with a visually identical part, but this time originally sourced from RS. Worked splendidly, but then one day turning it on it would (and still does) show an "E   3" error - it's sealed and I can't get in to look at anything.

So - that's FOUR items recently so this time I decided to buy a "MECHANICAL DIGITAL" depth gauge - it least it's battery can't go flat as there isn't one and it cant't display error messages !

. . .so rather disillusioned here  :bang:

AdeV:
I've also given up on digital measuring devices, for the exact same reason - either the batteries don't last more than a few weeks, or they just refuse to work properly (if at all)...

I bought a £30 Chinesium dial caliper on eBay a couple of years ago, specifically because it measured 0.01mm, with each mm being a full rotation of the dial (instead of half, like most of them are) - and I was amazed by its accuracy; it basically agrees with a micrometer (to the nearest 0.01mm obviously), pretty much over its whole range. I'm being very careful not to drop it...

pycoed:
Another one here that has given up on them: last year whilst our neighbour was baling hay in one of our fields, his NH baler started making noises. On investigation it needed a nylon top hat bush for one of the cross feed arms that transfer hay to the chamber. No problem, I'll make one out of some 3" nylatron bar I had knocking about. Took some measurements with an ALDI special ( no need for the Mitutoyo good one eh?), jotted them down  & turned up the bush. It didn't fit  :bang:, the caliper had somehow changed it's zero by ~1/8" so the bush was too small. When I checked the caliper, it would do the same thing time after time, so promising retribution, I hurriedly (it does rain a bit in Wales, especially with hay on the ground) made another bush which saved the day. Neighbour was quite impressed when I placed the offending calipers carefully on the anvil & did a Basil Fawlty with the short sledge :D :D

mattinker:
I only use digital measuring equipment when I have too! I now have a 150mm left-handed vernier caliper that lives in the breast pocket of my bib and brace! Happy days!

Cheers, Matthew

awemawson:
Matthew, like you I am left handed, and I got myself a 12" left handed 'digital vernier' some while ago thinking it to be a 'good idea'

I'm everlastingly picking up the blooming thing the wrong way round as I'm so indoctrinated into the ways of a right handed world !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version