Author Topic: Evening all  (Read 3963 times)

Offline pptom

Evening all
« on: June 03, 2021, 03:26:26 PM »
Hello, Tom from Northampton.
I've been into motorbike restoration for several years, that made way for a couple of classic cars which I've fully restored and now i've run out of space for 'big' projects.
I've had my Myford Ml7 for about 10 years, just picked up a second hand 6x26 mill and hoping to upsize the lathe when and if prices calm down a bit again.
I started out in Engineering, although never really did much machining, but what makes me tick is learning new skills - Tig, Mig, engine build, spraying the cars etc, mostly learning from my many mistakes and fortunately the rise of YouTube.
Signed up here to hopefully carry on with my learning journey.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Evening all
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 04:06:37 PM »
>>  mostly learning from my many mistakes..
Hi Tom  --  Aren't burned fingers the best teacher???  --  Lew

Offline pptom

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 12:52:06 AM »
Definitely, Mig spatter through the finger nail is a great teacher!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 01:41:28 AM »
Welcome aboard Tom, you hopefully will find us a friendly lot and there is a wealth of knowledge within the forum members.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 10:02:34 AM »
Hiya Tom  :wave:

Welcome to the collective  :borg:

Tell us a bit about your bike/car projects. I happen to be a bike/car guy.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline pptom

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 04:28:33 PM »
Struggling to add images..
First off, I've got to say, my philosophy with vehicles has always been to restore and modify, while I appreciate the original designs, technology has moved on and I like to use it to compliment the best parts of whats there, plus with the cars there has been 50 years of tried and tested aftermarket development.
My latest project was a 1965 MG midget, brought as I wanted to do an engine swap on something, turned out that I'm not very good at buying cars and the rust kept on coming, but it all turned out well in the end - Its powered by a Suzuki G13b (16v FI) engine and 5 speed box running through a LSD - the most fun car I've ever driven.
Before that was my first car restoration, a 1968 Lotus Elan +2, been sat in a garage since 1993 and was probably put in that garage as it was totally worn out. Its been on the road for 2 years now, this winter I converted it to Fuel Injection with custom adapted motorbike throttle bodies, on the rolling road for mapping in 3 weeks time, but its a significant improvement over Webers. Still have both the cars.

I've sort of turned my back on bikes in favour of the cars though I still have a 1933 Motobecane B1CRS which i'm just finishing up and a 1973 Yamaha AT2 which I pulled out of a shed where it was buried in horse poo, but it only cost £100.
I've had loads over the years, I fancy something, buy one cheap needing work, do it up, ride for a while and fancy something else so sell the prev one to fund the next, this went on for about 8 years, so I've had a few - Norton Dominator, Triumph 5TA, Tiger Cub, Honda CB550, XR600, NC30 (it sold over the Ocean to California last year), SP1, CBR400 Yamaha Super Tenere (built a Dakar rep) Cagiva Elefant, GSXR750 - loads, but there was nothing else I really fancied and I wanted to try and expand my skills a bit, so started on the cars.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 07:41:42 PM »
hi and welcome