The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

A sign of the times....

<< < (2/2)

russ57:
Apparently oriented is more common in both us and uk, although less so in uk. It apparently derived from church building, with the apse being built to the east.
Lots of discussion about the origin of 'orientated' being derived from 'orientation'.

-russ

Pete W.:

--- Quote from: russ57 on May 29, 2021, 07:43:55 AM ---Apparently oriented is more common in both us and uk, although less so in uk. It apparently derived from church building, with the apse being built to the east.
Lots of discussion about the origin of 'orientated' being derived from 'orientation'.

-russ

--- End quote ---

There are exceptions.

One that I know a small something about is the parish church at Ironbridge (or should I write 'Coalbrookdale'? ).  I offer the following with little or no authority - it's family hearsay but still ....  A cousin of my late wife was married to the Rector and used to say that she often wondered why the sun shone through the stained glass window during Evensong rather than during Morning Service.  The church is built on a ledge on the steep side of the gorge of the River Severn and the shape of the ledge dictated the orientation of the building.  Furthermore, I seem to remember it being said that, because of lack of space, only the Clergy were buried in the churchyard - the villagers were buried in a nearby cemetery. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version