Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Startrite 18V10 Blade Tension Indicator Access - How the heck do you?

(1/4) > >>

awemawson:
My Startrite 18V10 has a little circular window that should show figures on a quadrant plate that moves as you tension the blade. It's calibrated in blade widths 1/4"  1/2" etc.

Mine has vanished ! I have to set tension by plucking the blade and hearing the resultant note. It was there and sometimes got stuck but I suspect now it's fallen off !

Now it's a very simple mechanism and if I could get at it I'm sure that I can fix it BUT I can find no way to access the darn thing. all the panels are factory welded together and I can only just see bits of the top slide assembly with a mirror and torch looking upwards where the tensioning knob (#70 on the diagram) pokes though.

So the question - has anyone any idea how the heck you get at this beast ?

timby:
I may be wrong about this , I seem to remember  from a long time ago, band breaks and the indicator jumps upwards and jams, banging on the side panel with ones fist usually makes it drop down again.   

awemawson:
That sounds entirely possible as the diagram seems to show it just resting on the springy thing !

awemawson:
Thimby you are a star !

Well I never did find any way into the relevant bit of the band saw, well all manner of tapping with a big rubber hammer did nothing. So I poked an endoscope camera up next to the tensioning knob and sure enough the indicating thing was standing upright at 90 degrees to where it should be. Poking about with a bit of 1.6 mm gas welding rod bent into a hook eventually got it back in place.

It is amazingly hard coordinating an endoscope camera and a bit of wire when even knowing which way is 'up' is difficult.

I have no idea how they put these saws together originally - I was close to opening up an access hatch with a grinder !

kayzed1:
***springy thing****   i take it this is an engineering term us lesser mortals need to learn about  :smart: :thumbup:
Lyn the lesser.. but learning fast :coffee:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version