Author Topic: Hello from Tucson Arizona  (Read 3303 times)

Offline slowdave

Hello from Tucson Arizona
« on: March 04, 2021, 09:13:09 PM »
I came across this site while research a Sajo mill I am working on.  There is a great thread on Sajo mills but the photos are gone.  Anyway, I really liked what I saw so I registered.

I do all sorts of things in my shop.  I have a machining area with 1 lathe, 2 vertical mills, 2 horizontal mills, shaper and a D bit grinder.  I have a woodworking area with a table saw, drill press, sanders and a lathe.  In the blacksmiths area I have various grinders, a 6 ton fly press, 300 lbs anvil, power hammer, gas forge, coal forge, 2 horizontal bandsaws, belt grinder, a power hack saw and an overhead gantry.  For welders I have Mig, Tig and stick, also an oxyacetylene rig and plasma cutter.

I seem to spend a fair amount of time fixing up old machines.  Several I have purchased in pieces and figured them out.  I like a challenge.

I am like addicted to building stuff.

Dave

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Tucson Arizona
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 09:58:34 PM »
Hiya Dave,

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like your shop is well kitted out.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 10:04:40 PM »
Hi Dave  --  I am in Washington State, so we are "almost" neighbors.  http://www.lewmerrick-pe.info/ is my personal website that may have information of use to you.  Don't be a stranger (you can just be strange).  --   Lew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 02:43:17 AM »

I seem to spend a fair amount of time fixing up old machines.  Several I have purchased in pieces and figured them out.  I like a challenge.

Dave

That sounds VERY familiar Dave, looks like you should fit in pretty well!

Welcome aboard
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline slowdave

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 10:52:26 PM »
Thank you for the welcome.  I am going to be staying in Ferndale Washington for the month of July, the wife wants to get out of the Arizona heat for a bit.  Yes I have the addiction.

The latest project is a Sajo UF52 horizontal mill.  I purchased it off eBay and the shipping company damaged it.  The seller was gracious enough to refund my purchase price which was really cool and unexpected.  So I have about 16 hours into it not including scouring the internet trying to find info.  The damage consisted of a bent end of the lead screw and some damage to the hand wheel.  The lead screw was out of true .042" and I got it down to .006 so far.  I had to do it with the lead screw in the machine as it only comes out one way and that would require pulling the damaged part through various guides and bushings.  My only other option was to cut the bent end and then remove the screw and press in a replacement.  It is a beautiful machine built like a Saab I once owned.  The hand wheel welding repair is going to be done on Monday.  All new lubricants are arriving next week.  I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 07:26:15 PM »
hi and welcum