Author Topic: a challenging weekend  (Read 2250 times)

Offline howsitwork?

a challenging weekend
« on: February 22, 2021, 02:28:23 PM »
Started off by milling some steel to make a single post fence for the wood cutting bandsaw. All was proceeding well when I noticed the mill X way had developed or rather was developing noticeable backlash. I continued then decided to look underneath only to hit the stop immediately as the bronze nut was just about to drop out of its socket!

Much  engineering esperanto was used and it was carefully manipulated back. I then emailed an acquaintance , who I knew had one of these machines and asked him if , during his refurbishment he had experienced this and how to get access as it was all hidden. Although I have the manual it doesn’t have any breakdown diagrams or cross sectional views to give  me a clue!

Alll I did know was there looked to be two dimples for either pins or grub screws to locate in. Phil was a saviour As he recalled he had a similar experience and there was. a way to access with only partial strip down. Saturday was spent in removing table and accessories and 6 hours or so on Sunday was spent carefully dis assembling , photographing on  the ipad at all stages , and re assembling the knee assemble having got to the two grub screws and reseated them.

For any alexander owners Hillest has also published a series of very useful stripdown photos of his Deckel which is similar to my Alexander ( thanks again for that Phil ).

Result I now have a working mill with auto feed and very little backlash so this has obviously been developing for some time unbeknown to me.

I have tried to use photoresizer to send photos but am not having any success. Indeed I have just had to retype this to send it 🤷‍♂️

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: a challenging weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 05:29:45 PM »
Good job on fixing your mill!

Sorry you had to retype the post...

What are you using to resize the pictures?
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline howsitwork?

Re: a challenging weekend
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 03:23:45 AM »
i found a like to a site called photoresizer and it works, on screen well but I think i then need to re import the picture back to my ipad photos folder and that didn’t work for me. I need to have a play with it on the PC maybe instead?

When I went back to the message it was locked in a grey state so I quit and restyled later.

Just highly relieved to get the mill sorted without a total nuts and bolts stripdown .