Gallery, Projects and General > Member Videos

Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit to LinuxCNC and Mesa cards.

<< < (3/16) > >>

RotarySMP:

Pete.:
Looks like there's very little grease in those bearings, but then again most people tend to over-grease them. When I put new spindle bearings into my Hardinge lathe I looked up the manufacturer's spec for the amount of grease to use and I was surprised at the small amount required - 4.6cc

RotarySMP:
Thanks for that. I knew it was only a small amout, like 15 or 25%, butit is nice to see the table with the amount in g. I'll use that.
Mark

philf:
I assume you haven't got access to the inner race of the front bearing behind the labyrinth seal. To remove front bearing would mean putting pressure on the outer race to drive off the inner race which isn't recommended bearing practice. If the bearing is very tight on the spindle you might exceed the axial loading limit and damage the bearing. If the bearings feel very smooth I'd go for injecting a small amount of grease.

Having said that the lower bearings on my mill are much smaller a/c bearings and a stuck 2 morse taper attachment takes a sharp knock on the end of the drawbar to release and 30 years of sharp knocks doesn't seem to have done the bearings much harm. (And they've never been regreased.)

RotarySMP:
Yeah, the only way to put force on the inner race of the front pair is through the labrynth seal, which is cast iron. I have  nightmares of it going Ping,  as it must hae plent of non-radiused corners.

If the belt hadn't failed, I probably would have taken my chances with the 40 year old grease. Kluber is very good quality grease.
Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version