Author Topic: My week this week, my workshop videos!  (Read 50232 times)

Offline hermetic

Re: My week this week, my workshop videos!
« Reply #250 on: September 16, 2023, 11:06:26 AM »
Hi all,
A short one this week as we got involved in a very dirty and boring clean up operation which I didn't bother filming to save you the drudgery of sitting through it! I got the stairlifts repaired and working, and fixed the spark problem on the brigs and stratton on the little generator, but thats about all Next week we have more grass to cut, a tree to fell, and looking at the weather, more workshop time!
Phil, in Autumnal but still warm East Yorkshire.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline kered

« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2023, 09:56:13 AM »
I enjoy watching your videos! Great content, keep going!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #252 on: September 19, 2023, 01:22:02 PM »
thanks for  the kind comments!, i am not giving up any time soon, I hope!!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline hermetic

« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2023, 11:19:33 AM »
Hi All,
This video was made with Clipchamp, but it won't  be made with it ever again! what an execrable piece of crap it is! Microshaft have disabled video editor, and replaced it with clipchamp which is grossly overcomplex, and doesn't work. It would normally take me about 1-1/2 hours tops to turn raw footage into a video, I started at 7 and now  its after 10 and I havent finished yet! Clicked the tab to arrange clips in ascending order, didn't work! neither did descending order! Tried to click in the text box to add screen text, it didn't work, but when you rewatch the video it has inserted "type text here" into the video, and by clicking on the screen I was eventually able to add the text I wanted! Trust Microshaft to take a simple and usefull piece of software that works perfectly and completely screw it up!
RANT OVER!!
Lots of repairs of kit I have for  sale, and a recalcitrant Ryobi chainsaw which I think I got to the bottom of! Unfortunately Keiths  wife, Angela is in Hospital at the moment, which means the looking  after, cleaning out and feeding of 30 odd dogs has  fallen on our shoulders, so I only get an hour or two in the workshop a few days a week! Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible, please bear with me!
 Phil, in Calm, peacefull and sunny East Yorkshire

Offline hermetic

« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2023, 03:00:50 PM »
This video was made with Clipchamp
Yes folks, still clipchamp, and still a horrid piece of bloatware garbage that hides everything I want to do behind a wall of bloat that I have no interest in whatever, and apparently microshaft will NOT let you revert to video editor! watch this space! They are asking for feedback, so I am going to give them some!!
So what have we this week? an incremental improvement on the pressure washer, and a realisation that it may be the limit of my water systems input that is causing lack of output!! I take on the carb on the Ryobi chain saw and change it from almost running properly to not even firing! Life brings good weeks and bad weeks, and the bad ones shorten your patience, test your temper, and sometimes make you doubt your own ability , but I  must remember that, despite my autistic nature, it is not essential to be able to repair everything!
Phil, in the East Yorkshire rain forest!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #255 on: October 07, 2023, 11:02:01 AM »
Hi All,
Clipchamp has gone!! I am back on Video editor, great joy!!
I am indeed, back on the Holbrook, though I shall have to fit other jobs around it, like the forge shop roof, and the heating system. So after some more pesky Ryobi (skip to 12.32 if you can't stands na more) I start the Holbrook where I left off by straightening the threading stop bar, which went well, and so the next job is to fit the apron,  and try it out, BUT! When I finished the apron and reassembled it I found that the changeover lever for the threads/feed control stuck when shifting, only sometimes, but enough to be annoying, and so i strip the apron again to replace it! I also noticed that some slight corrosiion has dulled the apron faceplate, so I will polish it again! Turning, and milling, and next week more milling to get the part to  size, but what size? Looking at the wear on the old one it will be a hand fitting job to get it just right!
Phil, in wet but warm(ish) East Yorkshire.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #256 on: October 14, 2023, 11:02:49 AM »
Hi All,

A whole week of on and off and on again on the Holbrook! You need to get the sequence of assembly correct, or you end up pulling all the bits you just fitted off in order to fit the bit you forgot about, that cannot be fitted because you have forgotten the sequence! It is not difficult, because all  the pins are new and tap out easily, just a pain, and sometimes awkard because you need to be at both ends of the lathe at once, or you need to manouver a particularlt heavy lump into alignment without damaging it! A friend turned up just as I was piling up some blocks to refit the apron, and we fitted in between us in Two minutes!! it is begining to look like a lathe again!

Phil, in ratty and rainy East Yorkshire

Offline hermetic

« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2023, 12:14:19 PM »
Hi Folks
What a week!!  I get some more Holbrook done, actually quite a lot as the knock off bar was stopping progress, and with that straightened in my makeshift arbor press it all goes back together, well nearly all, as I then move on to the top slide and find a compound bend in the spindle which I get partially straightened out, but ran out of time. The roof was (of course) far worse than expected but I managed to get all the rotten stirling board removed and the framing and trimmers in before I had to cover it up again for two days of storm Babet to hit us! it was wild and very wet, a tree came down on Cottam lane, but luckily not one of ours, and it rained and rained!
Ryeslay, our local pest control man came to sort the rat problem out, I had to take part of the ceiling down to gain access, but it all went smoothly, and then on Saturday, 45 minutes before we were due to  set of for Beverley hospital for Cath to have an X-ray, and odd popping sound came from the utility room, luckily we were both in the kitchen next door, we checked it out, but saw nothing, then a few minutes later Cath smelled burning, and I shot in there, closely followed by Cath, to see smoke coming from under the machine, and flames underneath!! I dragged it out, switched off the power , Cath turned the water off and I disconnected it, pulled it forward , leaving a pool of burning platic on the floor, and dragged it over the doormat and out into the yard! we doused the plastic with a measuring jug full of water and got another jug full for the machine which was now on its side and burning merrily, when I realised I was standing next to the outside tap with hose attached! and then it was all over!
I hope for a quiet week next week!
Phil, in Babet ravaged East Yorkshire

Offline hermetic

« Reply #258 on: October 28, 2023, 11:01:54 AM »
Hi Folks,
Been so busy this week but didn't actually get much workshop time in as the  recent stress over the Rats and the leaky roof (also rats) has set off my old gippy digestion ailment, which means the only thing I want to do this week was curl up somewhere nice and warm and come out in spring! I soldiered on and got a bit done, but the weather has been atrocious, so no roof work! I have got the sheeting for the roof, so all is assembled and ready to go ahead as soon as there is a break in the weather!! I get the remaining castings stripped and a coat of brushing primer filler on them, and I must say they are all looking good!
Phil, in the Autumn deluge in East Yorkshire!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #259 on: November 11, 2023, 11:11:30 AM »
Hi folks
Another short week ofodd jobs! First and most importantly, I get the roof finished, so we are watertight again! I purchased a job lot of metric colchester student parts, including a T-slotted compound slide which means I am now looking for a QCTP! been after one for ages, and the price for all these bits was too good to pass up, and the guy delivered them too!! I get the parts that I am not keeping cleaned up and ready for sale. As usual I spend some time tidying up and moving stuff with the intention of getting the tractor back in the workshop for winter, and hey presto, come home Friday night, and the Tractor number plates have arrived, I can move it legally! Thursday this week I was at Bridlington for Cath to have a shoulkder XRAY as she fell out of the wheelchair on a bad drop kerb, and may have a fractured shoulder, and Monday next week, car gets its annual service and MOT, so nowt will be done! I just hope it passes!
Phil, sun and rain with a chill in the East Yorkshire air!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #260 on: November 21, 2023, 11:44:00 AM »
Hi folks

I have high blood pressure AND i AM NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE FOR A MONTH!!Today I took a gentle route march around my home town, showing you the sights and points of interest. It is "informal" as well as informative, and I hope I got it all right. Wherever you are, you are always in the midst of history!

Enjoy,

Phil, stuck inside of Driffield with the Langtoft blues again!

Offline hermetic

« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2024, 11:19:47 AM »
Hello Folks,
I am back on the Holbrook and feeling much better, thanks to all the well wishers, really appreciate your concern!
Week two (or rather three days) of work on the Holbrook lathe some bits arrive, and we find signs of tailstock abuse, but as usual it is press on and fix them all!
Phil, in bitterly cold East Yorkshire,
Tell Greta I want a refund!!