Author Topic: Current status in Canada  (Read 2301 times)

Offline John Rudd

Current status in Canada
« on: February 09, 2021, 01:40:57 PM »
I wonder if any of our Canadian friends could give some idea of what is happening in Canada at the moment with the current Covid situation? We are travelling around the Eastern area...Quebec etc....

I'm due to holiday there in May after having last yrs visit cancelled due to Covid..... :bang:

Thanks..
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline cwelkie

Re: Current status in Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 07:50:40 AM »
Best advice I can give is to start looking at a Canadian news outlet regularly (CTV,CBC). There are a number of new restrictions about to be implemented to discourage non-essential travel by everyone (resident and foreigner alike). For example, all scheduled airlines have “volunteered” to cancel all flights to traditional spring break destinations.

Can’t share any specifics about Ontario east, I’m in BC and each province has its own approach, rules and issues.
Things can very quickly though so today’s story isn’t valid very long.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 08:30:14 AM »
I expect that the compulsory quarantine hotels will still be operating for returns to the UK in May John at (I understand) £1750 per head which adds cost and and two weeks extra time.

Not sure I'd be still planning to go myself.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
I emailed our travel agent yesterday.
Their reply was “ we don’t anticipate any issues at the moment,so a refund is not possible, your holiday is likely to go ahead. “
Hmmm...not the answer I was expecting....I paid by credit card but again a refund is unlikely....

Best keep watching...

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 09:29:57 AM »
Speaking of quarantines - a PCR test is required before departure to Canada and another upon arrival. Travellers will soon be required to book quarantine in a government facility at their cost until test results are known ... can take 3 days and C$2000.
Check the News Release link on this page ... https://travel.gc.ca

Unfortunately your refund seems to be hiding behind "it's possible" without considering all the hurdles and additional costs to overcome.
As Andrew said, I wouldn't be planning to visit yet.  Even getting around individual provinces and regions can be challenging for non-essential reasons.

Good thing we can putter in the shed!
Charlie

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 10:04:27 AM »
Charlie,
I booked this holiday long before COVID became as “big as it is”.
Bought and paid for in Feb 2020. We were going to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and my wife’s birthday during the time away. Then we were placed in lock down, so the ta suggested rescheduling for this May....It also meant they didn’t have to give us a refund...So we agreed...Now obstacles are being put in place to prevent us holidaying but the ta is still reluctant to refund, suggesting moving it to next year....
One majorly important aspect of our holiday is that we are not residing in one hotel, we have an itinerary, stopping off at various locations throughout Eastern Canada...so a 14 day isolation period is not feasible..
I guess we need to wait a bit more..

Offline russ57

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »
I'd be rescheduling.
Here in Oz, an outbreak at a quarantine hotel (8 cases) has already resulted in 1 border closure. And if I recall, they are the only cases in the state.

With luck, the vaccination programme commencing worldwide will result in significant reductions in outbreaks, and also recognition of one's vaccination status allowing exemption from most restrictions.

-russ

Offline russ57

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 07:29:56 PM »
And now with 13 cases of 'the UK strain' we are in a hard 'circuit breaker' lockdown for 5 days.

-russ

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 07:51:33 PM »
I’m afraid it will be wait and see it will depend on vaccines and what the idiots in power  proclaim right now they require a test done before boarding and one when you get here + a 3 day stint in quarantine at a $3000.00 cost to you.