The Shop > Metal Stuff

Ring Shank Design

<< < (2/3) > >>

vtsteam:
Just for interest sake here is the shank lying on the concrete. Notice the nice round heat radiation and splash shield to protect the gloved hand, and allow him to hold closer to the crucible when pouring.

awemawson:
If you cut a circle of cardboard and put it on the plinth under the crucible (before firing of course) the carbon from the burnt cardboard stops them sticking together.

RussellT:
I have also seen (somewhere on youtube) an arrangement where a hook slides along the handle so it overlaps the edge of the crucible.

I should be possible to make such an arrangement so that the hook could be moved by a brake lever type arrangement on the handle.  I think ease of use is crucial - as I think Andrew pointed out - because it's a busy moment.

Russell

vtsteam:

--- Quote from: awemawson on February 06, 2021, 02:13:23 AM ---If you cut a circle of cardboard and put it on the plinth under the crucible (before firing of course) the carbon from the burnt cardboard stops them sticking together.

--- End quote ---
That's the theory. It doesn't always work out in practice in my experience with iron. I've even used a double layer of cardboard and had them stick. Likewise Ironman does the same thing, but they do stick eventually. I've seen him pour with two plinths stuck on the end of a  single crucible. People question him about it, and he answers that it doesn't bother him. He uses purchased Vesuviana plinths, btw, designed for the purpose.

vtsteam:
Returning to the topic, I just noticed this design for a pouring shank.

https://www.lmine.com/pouring-tongs-c-1_78_173_174/36-crucible-pouring-tongs-56kl-gram-p-6817.html

You know, I think that could be modified further to provide a rake type skimmer.

Interesting how the ring has an open side -- which is the only way the top retainer wouldn't be in the way when you lower it with the tongs into the shank.

Something to think about......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version