Author Topic: electronic ignition cdi  (Read 3122 times)

Offline speedibee

electronic ignition cdi
« on: February 01, 2021, 07:44:26 AM »
I have ordered an electronic ignition kit from hobbyking ,for the Webster engine I'm building , what i want to know if anyone has the answer is , can i mount the magnetic trigger on a steel flywheel .or will it confuse the signal ?
You are  never alone with Schizophrenia

Offline chipenter

Re: electronic ignition cdi
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
I don't see why not my rev counter magnet is mounted on my lathe spindle , the flywheel is not magnetic is it?
Jeff

Offline speedibee

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 06:26:15 AM »
flywheel is going to either steel or cast iron
non magnetic

You are  never alone with Schizophrenia

Offline pycoed

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 06:00:28 AM »
I installed a rev counter for a Kubota diesel engine & fitted the magnet to the steel power steering pump pulley ( same size as the crank pulley, but MUCH easier access)  & it works fine. I glued the first one on, but the counter didn't work - dumbo didn't realise the pickup is pole sensitive  :bang:. Second one is just held by it's own magnetism & has been fine for the last 18 mths (isn't it amazing how these temporary bodges become permanent?)

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 07:22:46 PM »
I have one a cheap Chinese tacho on my lathe. It worked well for a couple of weeks then stopped. After trying various things, including getting a spare pickup from the eBay seller. I discovered that turning the magnet over fixed the problem  :Doh: About 4 months ago it died again (after 7 years) and I've not yet tried to fix it.

My magnet is also held in place by the power of thought  :D

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 11:44:50 AM »
Mount the magnet to, or in the cam gear. No need to make it spark twice as much as needed.