Author Topic: Milling Machine Stop  (Read 4931 times)

Offline philf

Milling Machine Stop
« on: January 18, 2021, 12:10:26 PM »
Years ago I made a stop for my milling machine so I could repeat the position of an object in the vice.

It was a pain the backside to set up and it was forever getting in the way.

A couple of nights ago I was sat watching TV and started to think about an improved stop. I had a quick check to see what materials I had to hand then came up with a design that I can't claim is original but it was very easy to make and seems incredibly rigid - and, most importantly, repeatable.

A few hours work and this is it.

On feature I haven't seen before is the collar on the stop rod which enables you to pull the rod out of the way (it often would be clobbered by the cutter) and then slide back into position for the next part. Alternatively I can pivot the top arm. The arm clamping screws have wavy washers so that they can be easily positioned before locking in place.

Today I thought in plain mild steel it would soon look tatty so I broke out my probably 20 year old blacking kit. To my amazement it worked and makes it look so much better.

The base block is 1" square ms bar. There are two 10mm pins (screwed M6) to locate in the T-slot. I'll make some more pins so I can transfer the stop to my CNC. The arms are 3/4" x 3/8" ms machined to 18mm with radiused ends on the CNC. (Why use a file when you have CNC?) The stop rod is 6mm silver steel and the thumb screws are in 303 stainless.

Phil.

Phil Fern

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Milling Machine Stop
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 12:12:52 PM »
That's really nice, Phil!  :bow:  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 06:11:19 PM »
great idea especially the stop on the rod.

Online AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 04:10:22 AM »
VERY nice Phil - That one's definitely gone on the "to be copied" list, thanks!

PS: I bet MEW Magazine would be interested in that...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline djc

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 10:21:51 AM »
That is very good.

Could I venture to suggest some enhancements?

Consider replacing the securing nut with a Kipp handle as shown in the top photo. Put a light spring between T-nut and stop base so it is easy to install. Consider something to stop relative rotation between T-nut and stop base again for ease of installation (a long T-nut with a dowel might do or extend the existing location pins). Bore the other end of the rod and glue in some 3mm silver steel for small parts.

One could perhaps argue that the stop collar is unnecessary. As long as you are not milling away that part of the stock which the rod touches, you can always slide it back into position before removing the part from the vice.

Offline philf

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 12:08:59 PM »
That is very good.

Could I venture to suggest some enhancements?

Consider replacing the securing nut with a Kipp handle as shown in the top photo. Put a light spring between T-nut and stop base so it is easy to install. Consider something to stop relative rotation between T-nut and stop base again for ease of installation (a long T-nut with a dowel might do or extend the existing location pins). Bore the other end of the rod and glue in some 3mm silver steel for small parts.

One could perhaps argue that the stop collar is unnecessary. As long as you are not milling away that part of the stock which the rod touches, you can always slide it back into position before removing the part from the vice.

Thanks DJC, (& Ade & Steve & Howsitwork)

I haven't got another Kipp handle in M8 and, to be honest it doesn't take 1/2 a minute to fix to the table.

I have something similar to what you're suggesting on my rear toolpost knurling tool although using a socket screw rather than a Kipp so that I can knurl close to the chuck. You can see one of the pins to keep the tee nut lined up

The stop collar is a result of experience where, on very small workpieces, the cutter would hit the stop so I've withdrawn it - then a burr stops the stop going back exactly where it should be.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:39:45 AM »
Very sharp looking!  :bow:
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline philf

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 02:11:03 PM »
The stops have been breeding.

There have been occasions when I could have used one on my manual mill and one on my CNC at the same time and, rather than sit watching TV, I thought I'd go down to the workshop to make another. In fact I made 2 - one for me and one for my friend. (We worked together for over thirty years and are now each building the same loco so when we're making parts for that we often make two - one for each of us.)

Whilst I had the blacking kit set up again I thought I'd black a small diameter turning tool I made some time ago.

I made this because I need to make a pile of stainless steel studs for the loco and the diameter - 2.78mm - not a diameter easy to come by.

I did have several lengths of 1/8" so made the tool to turn it down. It's very easy to use and gives excellent results. The brass bush is interchangeable depending on the stock size.

There is a fine pitch screw to adjust the cut and a grub screw underneath the cutting end of the tool to get the tool on centre-height.

Here's a batch of the studs ready for my friend.

And the cylinder they're for. (The nuts are temporary and scale nuts will be fitted with a smaller a/f.)

Phil.

Phil Fern

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 04:38:30 PM »
Another great tool Phil, and some lovely photos of what you've been doing.  :bow:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg