Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Milling Machine Stop

(1/2) > >>

philf:
Years ago I made a stop for my milling machine so I could repeat the position of an object in the vice.

It was a pain the backside to set up and it was forever getting in the way.

A couple of nights ago I was sat watching TV and started to think about an improved stop. I had a quick check to see what materials I had to hand then came up with a design that I can't claim is original but it was very easy to make and seems incredibly rigid - and, most importantly, repeatable.

A few hours work and this is it.

On feature I haven't seen before is the collar on the stop rod which enables you to pull the rod out of the way (it often would be clobbered by the cutter) and then slide back into position for the next part. Alternatively I can pivot the top arm. The arm clamping screws have wavy washers so that they can be easily positioned before locking in place.

Today I thought in plain mild steel it would soon look tatty so I broke out my probably 20 year old blacking kit. To my amazement it worked and makes it look so much better.

The base block is 1" square ms bar. There are two 10mm pins (screwed M6) to locate in the T-slot. I'll make some more pins so I can transfer the stop to my CNC. The arms are 3/4" x 3/8" ms machined to 18mm with radiused ends on the CNC. (Why use a file when you have CNC?) The stop rod is 6mm silver steel and the thumb screws are in 303 stainless.

Phil.

vtsteam:
That's really nice, Phil!  :bow:  :beer:

howsitwork?:
great idea especially the stop on the rod.

AdeV:
VERY nice Phil - That one's definitely gone on the "to be copied" list, thanks!

PS: I bet MEW Magazine would be interested in that...

djc:
That is very good.

Could I venture to suggest some enhancements?

Consider replacing the securing nut with a Kipp handle as shown in the top photo. Put a light spring between T-nut and stop base so it is easy to install. Consider something to stop relative rotation between T-nut and stop base again for ease of installation (a long T-nut with a dowel might do or extend the existing location pins). Bore the other end of the rod and glue in some 3mm silver steel for small parts.

One could perhaps argue that the stop collar is unnecessary. As long as you are not milling away that part of the stock which the rod touches, you can always slide it back into position before removing the part from the vice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version