Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Drawing interpretation

(1/3) > >>

John Rudd:
  Gents,
Opinions needed.....
Study the drawing attached and tell me what you think......

The tapped M5 holesare located as shown, but is the second one located 1/4" + 9/16" or is it located 9/16" from 0" on the bottom right corner?
Then is the 3rd one similar? 1/4"+9/16"+1.0" from 0" from the right hand edge? Or is it 1.0" from the right edge?
Finally the 4th, 1/4"+9/16+1.0"+1-1/2" or is it 1-1/2" from the right?

Thanks from Confused....

vtsteam:
John, 9/16" from 0 on the second one, and similarly 1" from right for 3rd and 1-1/2" from right edge for 4th.

Look for the second arrowhead termination on the dimension lines. If there is one, then it's to that base point. If there isn't then it's to the first base point for all. At least in this dwg.

You'll notice that on the other two circular locations (not mentioned) there is a mix. The first dimension (9/32") is from the right edge, the second (1-1/2") is from the center of the first. Check the arrowheads.

John Rudd:
Steve,
So to clarify,
All measurements are based on the 0 datum?

i.e  9/16 from 0 rather than the 1/4"?  That would make that hole location 5/16 from the first? ...then the fourth hole would be 1-1/2" from 0?

Spurry:
Hi John. Still working in those strange measurements; thought you would have been metricated by now :)
 The drawing looks like it has the datum 0/0 at the bottom right hand corner, and the other measurements are from that point.
Pete

John Rudd:
Pete,
Although I'm a child of the 50's and was educated between the 60's thru to the mid 70's ( including my apprenticeship)  I still use Imperial fractional measurements...although I do need to use a calculator to go from fractions to decimal for my dro's....
But back to measuring.....

My tech drawing reading skills are a bit below par...So now I know the significance of the datum, something I missed, should be able  to get my holes in the right place...l :dremel:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version