Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Cheapo guitar sustainer/feedbacker

<< < (2/4) > >>

sorveltaja:
An update: I tested the phase shifter, that I previously built, but what a surprise, it didn't work anymore. I should have built an enclosure for it right after I finished it.

At this moment, I don't feel like debugging it, maybe later. I got derailed by other phasing stuff, but none of it worked in a way, that was expected.
One device, that works really well with the sustainer, is the super tone control, that I also built previously. The effective/usable feedback frequency range is rather narrow, though.

Today I was about to record a sample of it, but there are still plenty of factors to test, to refine it.

That super tone control doesn't have any modulating parts in it, so it would require an external circuitry. But I'll leave it as it is, for the use with vocoder.

Simply, what I'm after, is to emphasize certain harmonics, either by modulation, or by using an expression pedal. 

sorveltaja:
Again, an update. I decided to build another, modified super tone control(stc). Instead of pot, it has ldr to control the frequency.

I had some leftover ldr-led optoisolators, but modulating the led appears to be quite tricky(with function generator), to find usable range for the sustainer. Apparently there are things like offset, and others, that need tweaking.

On the other hand, the automated modulation may not be that necessary, as the sustainer could be used with a pedal to control the frequency, and therefore, harmonics.

The guitar, that I mainly use for testings, is the scalloped one, that I finished as a previous project. It has a bolt-on maple neck, with very lightweight body(could be some form of balsa).
It resonates easier, than the other guitar, that has a glued maple neck with heavier, poplar body.

What comes to vibrating element, tactile transducer could be better, than the 8ohm/0,25W speaker, that I have used so far. Haven't yet looked, what the local suppliers have to offer.

I found out, that there is only one commercial sustainer, that has an effect loop option in it:

It doesn't seem to be that popular. Or perhaps it is, but at least there aren't videos on 'tube of anyone using its effect loop option.

--
Bit of rant:

Don't know why it is, but those who do demo videos of various commercial ones, in my ears, they all sound the same, no matter how talented the guitar player is. Dull, predictable harmonics.

sorveltaja:
A simple test pedal:

It uses pairs of angle-irons, and M5 screws with locking nuts, to keep it from moving too freely.

Next thing is to test, how the led-ldr optoisolators could be attached to it, and also what kind of moving aperture could be used.
Super tone control uses dual ganged pot for frequency, so two pairs of led-ldr's are needed.

One might wonder, why not use ordinary pots instead of optoisolators. Good ones(used in wah-wah, and such pedals), that can stand the mechanical wear, tend to be rather pricey.

Anyways, after some drawing, this is perhaps the next step:

Obviously, the range of the action depends, how far or close the optoisolator and moving aperture are from the pedal's pivot point.

sorveltaja:
Time for an off-topic update.

No process with the project, as I had to upgrade my old computer. Hell of a side project. I have done it many times in the past, but this time, when using newer hardware, it was pita to install Win7, that I like to use. I tried Win 8.1, but nah, I'll stick with seven as long as possible.

So it'll take some time to install essential softwares, like 3d modelling and such, plus all the settings/tweaks to get back to somewhat familiar environment.

But yeah, after that is sorted out, I'll be glad to get back to the main project.

vtsteam:
Comp hardware switch always a major consumer of time!   :doh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version