Author Topic: A good start to the year - NOT!  (Read 1804 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
A good start to the year - NOT!
« on: December 31, 2020, 10:50:45 AM »
Landline ‘phone line has failed , no phones OR internet. Apparently not the only ones affected but no repairs until 6th Jan next year :bugeye:

BT are  posting me a 4g hub so depending how good a new year party the postman has I may get ack on line in a few days

So no forums YouTube Netflix or other services. Argh

I’m assuming some equipment was inundated when we had that last flood, don’t really use the landline much but the internet connection has been playing up for a few days.

( posting by iPhone )

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: A good start to the year - NOT!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 11:32:40 AM »
Sorry Andrew!   :doh: :doh:

(however do remember it is still 2020 --- unless our continents have drifted even further apart .)  :poke:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 12:15:08 PM »
We'll be thinking of you while you enjoy your isolation........😂😂

Seriously, this is typical BT, we will glad,y take your money but when it comes down to it....,we will sort it when it suits us..tough!

Not exactly living up to their reputation as a service provider!

Hope you get sorted sooner rather than later....🤔  Meanwhile party on.....😂😂🍾🍾🍷🍷🍹🍹🍾🍾🍾🍸
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 12:32:16 PM »
Well I'm delighted to say that 'normal service' has been resumed on the internet front here on the farm.

About lunchtime today (Sunday) a white van pulled into the yard and delivered a parcel from BT containing a '4G Mini Hub - so I spent a little time pointing various wireless devices at it, got it all configured, and settled down to watch an episode of 'Death in Paradise'. Just at the crucial moment in the episode, the land line rang. 'BT Here sir - your line is now working' . It turns out as I had suspected, the BT termination box into which we connect (1.8 miles of copper) had indeed been inundated and ceased to work. He warned me that things are likely to start and stop a bit for a few days as many cables need replacing / rewiring.

So I enjoyed using the BT supplied Mini Hub for about 20 minutes ! But Well done to BT for sorting the issue well ahead of their initial estimate of Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. Far better than setting a short timescale and missing it - managing customers expectations we used to call it !

Quite impressed with the Minihub- - handy to know about and apparently it's now mine to keep, though no doubt BT will turn it's SIM off in due course

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline modeng200023

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 04:33:25 PM »
Nice to hear some good news Andrew.

Happy New Year

John

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »
yep, back in business.  :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 01:32:40 PM »
Now you're back in business internet wise why not come on a Model Engineering zoom call tomorrow morning 9am. Yes I know it's a bit early but that is to enable Australians to join in.
https://stalbansmes.com/model-engineering-magazine-forum/
There will be a talk/presentation to add a bit of focus and a chat session after that.