The Shop > Our Shop

Need a small desiccant drum dehumidifier for my workshop

<< < (2/2)

tom osselton:
This is so the waranty is covered. Apparently the pellets are not good enough.

Gazz292:
I went for an 'EcoAir DD1' desiccant wheel type dehumidifier,  £150 off amazon.

shed / workshop was sitting at ~79% humidity, i put it in on it's high setting and the humidistat about half way round the dial, and a day later humidity was at about 59%, emptied it's tank 3 times that day.

I then turned it to it's low setting, humidistat wound slightly farther round,  and over the next 2 to 3 days it got the humidity to 50% in there...
read with multiple humidity meters at opposite ends of the workshop... one is a logging thermostat and humidity meter that reads outside and inside temps... hence i know how cold it gets in and out of the workshop over night... inside no lower than 3 degrees C before the dehumidifier due to the 2 tubular frost heaters in use,

Now the humidity is under control, the dehumidifier just sits there coming on when it gets upto about 55, and bringing it back down to 50 fairly fast, and the catch tank takes about 2 weeks to fill now.

As the dehumidifier has a heater in it to dry the desiccant wheel and release the moisture it's absorbed, the air blowing from it is warm (a lot warmer than from the refrigerant type i had before) so that adds to the interior temp a little, and now it averages 5 degrees C inside over night when the dehumidifier is running, how much the tubular heaters come on now i don't know, but it's been averaging -4 outside lately.

It pulls about 250 watts when running, that is a sharp increase over the ~ 40 watts for my old refrigerant based dehumidifier, but that one was no use as it's heat exchanger coils just froze up all the time in this cold weather, it got so bad at one point the metal case was bulged outwards from the ice build up!  and when i shut it off to let it defrost, it pee'd most of that melting ice water all over the floor.

awemawson:
Come and try it in my foundry  building where the humidity has sat at 98% for about a week  :bugeye:

(Mind you nothing stands a chance there as there is a LOT of ventilation to outside and we are on the brink of flooding again  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version