The Shop > CNC

3D printer bed correction

<< < (3/3)

ddmckee54:
shipto:

I wouldn't try doing that every time that the printer got to that location.  Think about what that would make the processor do if you happened to have a short solid infill that crossed that location.  It would probably take a large amount  of computing time just for the processor to say "Yup, I'm here."  Might even drive it off into La-La land.

If you really want to try this most slicers give you the option of adding a g-code script between layers, I'd try it there.  That would catch any major boo-boos in position before they had a chance to screw up more than part of one layer.  Plus it would allow you to approach the position at a fixed speed, no trying to compensate for the effect of latency on different speeds.  I think latency is the term I'm looking for, it's the time it takes for a solid state device to switch from off to on or vice versa.  I don't know, you might find that a printer travels slow enough that latency can just be ignored.

One other recommendation, put your test point outside of where you normally print.  For instance if your print bed is 200x200mm I would use 180-190mm as the test location.  This practically guarantees that you will always be approaching the test location from the same direction, and you will also always using the same side of your slot to activate the sensor.  That way it really doesn't matter how wide your slot is, wouldn't even have to be a slot - could just be a flag with you looking for the sensor to go off.  When the sensor goes off, Marlin (or the g-code) loads a fixed value into the current position and Bob's your uncle.

Don

shipto:
Well it seems this is probably more trouble than its worth. Oh well!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version