Author Topic: Quick Change Tool Post Warco 180  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Gopherit

Quick Change Tool Post Warco 180
« on: December 22, 2020, 05:36:14 PM »
Any recommendations for a QCTP for said Warco 180?
There are any number of T37 Dickson type ones advertised but I suspect they do not have the 18mm diameter counterbore in the base to accept the 180's machined in boss on the tool slide.
Obviously one answer is to get one of these and machine the recess, but it would be nice to not have to do this particularly if the base is really hardened it might prove a bit of a job on the Warco!

Obviously Warco do one, but it's out of stock and not sure I like the design anyway.

Offline chipenter

Re: Quick Change Tool Post Warco 180
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 03:23:00 AM »
The tool post is only case hardened on mine as are the holders , it's of Chinees origin .
Jeff

Offline lesterhawksby

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 10:03:03 AM »
Hi, the clones-in-the-style-of-Dickson-for-Myford work well on the WM180 but do indeed need machining at the base to fit that annoying boss. I managed that on my 180, but it wasn't easy going. Same as Chipenter's, it was case hardened so got easier once I got through the skin, but the inside of the bore was rough and very hard to cut. However, I only had to do that job once and I am really happy with the toolpost now.

I also have one sold by Warco as suited for the WM180, ready machined for the boss etc, and I really dislike it. Not sure if it is the same as the one they offer now. It seemed to me to move a lot when tightened up, and the vertical adjustment on the holders was poor. It hides in my Cupboard of Shame with the other mistaken purchases.

Offline Gopherit

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 09:47:21 AM »
I have ended up getting a QCTP from a firm in India that I came across whilst searching. They don't obviously specify for the Warco 180 but when I inquired replied quite quickly and included an mp4 video from a Scottish customer that convinced me it was worth a shot. It arrived today, exactly as specified, fits the Warco 180 and seems to be just what I needed. Have only had time to slot in a parting tool and cur a brass disc but no problems thus far. Toolpost with 4 Holders came in at £107 all in, Fedex from India.
https://www.indiamart.com/jd-engineering-co/tool-post.html#quick-change-toolpost-t51

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 10:50:43 AM »
How did you overcome the 'ten minimum order' bit of that advert? Or are you now selling the other 9 ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 02:09:49 PM »
The prices are jaw droppingly low, assuming 0.014 USD/Rupee for goog was right!  How bad was shipping?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Gopherit

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 05:23:26 PM »
I made the initial inquiry off the website and the owner, Raja, came back to me within 24 hrs. I then dealt with him all the time, no mention of 10 minimum. The only holdup was because I wanted to pay by BACS - I won't touch Paypal - and it turned out that wasn't a problem as they have a UK account  with Currencies Direct, so I was able to transfer GBP to them. There was a holdup whilst they confirmed receipt of the money - part of this was because of the Christmas/New year period.

Made the initial inquiry on 25 December (!)  it was dispatched Fedex on 4 January and I received on 11 January.
Very pleased.

Now to see if they'll make some "Nippy" type machine Vices.......

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 05:29:42 PM »
Can you PM me his email address?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Gopherit

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 04:48:09 AM »
Have Done.

Offline Gazz292

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 05:40:22 PM »
Hmmm,
i'm getting a new lathe soon (WM280v) and want a milling slide for it, but from warco it's looking to be £110 or so for the slide, plus another 35 for the base plate, plus what ever for a vise to go with it.

Might be an idea for me to check the price i can get one from india,