Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Hard to hold.....

<< < (2/4) > >>

AdeV:
Thanks guys - this is exactly why I ask these questions, it never occurred to me to use bits of bar or square stock to fill the gaps! I like Eric's idea of machining the curve into them too, so you don't need to worry if it touches two or three teeth...

If I'm honest, though, the "do it on the mill" thought occurred when I was half way through posting the lathe question; I think I will do it on the mill - as John says, by the time I've sorted out 6 little blocks (I'm using a 6 jaw chuck!) & tappy-tap-tapped it all about the place to get it running dead nuts, I'd have finished it on the mill...

PS Phil - pretty sure this is a one-piece item, although I haven't looked particularly hard at it yet. Will give it a proper coat of looking at tomorrow.

WeldingRod:
I agree that the mill is the way to go!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

AdeV:

--- Quote from: AdeV on December 22, 2020, 07:41:44 PM ---PS Phil - pretty sure this is a one-piece item, although I haven't looked particularly hard at it yet. Will give it a proper coat of looking at tomorrow.

--- End quote ---

I stand corrected - it does look like the flanges have been pressed on afterwards, there's definitely a join, and it looks like there's a tiny gap between the teeth and the edges.

However.... I don't fancy my chances of getting them off (or even one of them, which would be enough to hold the job in the lathe) without damaging it... so it's still a milling job I feel.

Muzzerboy:
Sounds as if you need to get yourself 3 and 4 jaw chucks - what more excuse do you need!!

As it sounds as if you are not bothered about getting it dialled in deadly accurate, it would take no time at all to fling this in a chuck with 3 slugs of strip or bar and let rip. You don't even need 6 pieces with a 6 jaw chuck - 3 would do. Presumably you'd have to bugger about with clamps and packing to get the pulley set up on your mill. Six, two threes and half a dozen!

RussellT:
Clamp it to a faceplate?

Russell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version