Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Machining a bearing housing clearance

<< < (2/4) > >>

Pete.:
I'd make them a light press fit. If you mess it up then use bearing retainer it's good for a couple of thou and that's a very loose fit for a bearing.

Muzzerboy:
Something like this https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/truloc/Truloc-271-Retainer.pdf

Use a torch or heat gun if you ever need to remove the bearing again.

Spurry:
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I may end up having to use loctite to retain the bearings, it all depends on how accurately I make the housings, but that depends on what diameter I should aim for, as stage one.

Having read oodles of technical data from various (bearing) manufacturers, the amount of info is considerable, so I was rather hoping someone may have had a similar job to give an initial diameter to aim for. At present, choices are limited. If slightly too small and welding distorts things a little, it will never rebuild, so trying for a press-fit is beyond reach.

They say a thread is worthless without pics so, here's a some pictures to show the starting point...

Sea.dog:
The first thing I notice is that you've a problem boring the gearbox bearing housing. Perhaps it would be easier to bore it out, from the outside, then make a sleeve, which you can weld in, then bore to it size. You could make a cap plate for the outside if the bearing doesn't have a seal.

Pete.:
I would fit a new big bearing, and ream the hole round then fit a bronze bush and re-make the arm to suit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version